Each instructor is required to have the approval of the executive director. Such approval will be based upon the recommendation of a current commander and the submission on a prescribed form of a statement of qualifications for each subject or subjects for which approval is sought.
(A) Minimum qualifications for unit instructor.
(1) High school graduate or possession of a general education development certificate;
(2) Five years experience as a bailiff, deputy bailiff, and/or law enforcement officer;
(3) Successful completion of an eighty-hour instructional skills course or equivalent as approved by the executive director;
(4) Submission of documentation of completion of instructor-level training which allows a person to acquire specific knowledge and skills in an area for which approval is sought;
(5) Recommendation of a current basic school commander.
(6) Persons approved to instruct topics in programs pursuant to Chapter 109:2-1 or 109:2-9 of the Administrative Code may instruct those same topics in a basic school.
(B) Renewal of unit certification.
(1) Instructors certified by unit shall renew their certificate every three years. At least sixty days and no more than ninety days prior to expiration of the certificate, the instructor shall file with the executive director an application for renewal on a form supplied by the executive director. The instructor shall also file:
(a) Written evidence documenting that the instructor has successfully completed, within the past three years, a minimum of twelve clock hours of training in topics related to the basic course.
(b) Written evidence from a school commander that the instructor has taught in at least one basic school for a minimum total of twelve teaching hours within the past three years.
(C) Denial of certification, denial of renewal of certification, or revocation of certification:
Should the executive director refuse to issue or renew a certificate, or should the executive director revoke a certificate, notice of this action shall be sent to the applicant. The applicant shall be advise that he or she may request a hearing before the commission as provided in sections 119.06 and 119.07 of the Revised Code. The commission shall conduct the hearing as required by sections 119.01 to 119.13 of the Revised Code.
(D) Grounds for revocation of instructor certification.
(1) Failure to meet renewal criteria;
(2) Failure to meet renewal deadline;
(3) Submission of falsified records, application, or other documentation;
(4) Unacceptable performance evaluations;
(5) Convictions of a felony or a crime of moral turpitude;
(6) Any other good cause shown.
If an instructor's certification is revoked for any of the listed reasons, notice of this action shall be sent and any requested hearing shall be conducted as required in paragraph (C) of this rule.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 11/17/2010 and 02/03/2016
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 109.74
Rule Amplifies: 109.73, 109.75
Prior Effective Dates: 4/11/87, 7/7/02, 4/24/08