(A) Credit for prior equivalent training or education.
(1) An individual who has successfully completed prior training or education, other than basic training for full-service corrections officers under the auspices of the Ohio peace officer training commission, and who is required to complete the corrections school as prescribed in rule 5120:1-8-18 of the Administrative Code may request credit for that portion of the curriculum which is equivalent to training previously completed. Training or education which shall be accepted includes, but is not limited to: training or education certified by another state; another government agency; a branch of the military service; the state highway patrol; or a college, university, or other educational institution.
(2) The applicant shall provide to the executive director documented evidence of the training. The executive director shall review the record of the prior training or education and make a determination of the training the person shall be required to complete in a commission-approved corrections training school.
(3) Credit for equivalent training may also be given under this rule for experience when the applicant, through a means that the executive director has approved in advance, demonstrates to the executive director a level of proficiency that is equivalent to the proficiency required to complete one or more portions of the basic training course.
(4) If the applicant disputes any of the training assigned by the executive director, he or she may request a hearing before the commission as provided in section 119.06 or 119.07 of the Revised Code. The commission shall conduct the hearing as required by sections 119.01 to 119.13 of the Revised Code.
(1) Upon appointing a person to a correctional officer position as described in paragraph (F) of rule 109:2-9-01 of the Administrative Code, the appointing agency shall submit a request for the executive director to evaluate the officer's training and eligibility to perform the functions of a correctional officer. Such request will be made on a form provided by the executive director and shall be submitted immediately upon appointing the officer.
(2) Persons who have completed required training and who have not been appointed as a correctional officer for one year or less shall remain eligible for appointment and shall not be required to complete additional specialized or other training to remain eligible for appointment.
(3) Persons who have completed required training and who have not been appointed as a correctional officer for more than one year but less than four years shall, within one year of appointment, successfully complete any specialized training, and any other training deemed appropriate by the appointing authority.
(4) Persons who have completed required training and who have not been appointed as a correctional officer for more than four years shall, upon appointment, complete entry level training required of their position as prescribed in rule 109:2-9-02 of the Administrative Code.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: R.C. 109.74
Rule Amplifies: R.C. 109.73, R.C. 109.75
Prior Effective Dates: 10/01/1993, 06/01/2001