(A) All persons described in paragraph (G) of rule 109:2-11-01 of the Administrative Code shall successfully complete training required for their position as prescribed in rule 5120:1-10-18 of the Administrative Code as well as any other training prescribed by the executive director.
(B) Persons described in paragraphs (H) and (I) of rule 109:2-11-01 of the Administrative Code may complete the training prescribed in rules 5120:1-10-18 and 5120:1-12-18 of the Administrative Code and as is prescribed by the executive director. Ohio peace officer training commission approved training for the persons described in this paragraph is optional for the local agency.
(C) Credit for prior equivalent training or education.
(1) An individual who has successfully completed prior training or education, other than basic training for twelve-day or twelve-hour facility corrections officers under the auspices of the Ohio peace officer training commission, and who is required to complete the jailer training school as prescribed in rule 5120:1-10-18 or 5120:1-12-18 of the Administrative Code may request credit for that portion of the curriculum which is equal to training previously completed. Training or education which will be accepted may include, but is not limited to: training or education certified by another state; another government agency; a branch of the military service; the state highway patrol; or a college, university, or other educational institution.
(2) The applicant shall provide to the executive director documented evidence of the training. The executive director shall review the record of the prior training or education and make a determination of the training the person shall be required to complete in a commission approved jailer training school.
(3) Persons who have received training in subject control within the previous two years may petition for waiver of that training with proper documentation.
(4) Persons holding current, nationally recognized first aid and CPR cards may petition for waiver of that training with proper documentation.
(5) No credit shall be given under this rule for experience which is not part of a formal training or educational program.
(6) If the applicant disputes any of the training assigned by the executive director, he or she may request a hearing before the commission as provided in section 119.06 or 119.07 of the Revised Code. The commission shall conduct the hearing as required by sections 119.01 to 119.13 of the Revised Code.
(D) Re-appointment. training requirements
(1) Upon appointing a person to a corrections officer position as described in paragraph (G) or (I) of rule 109:2-11-01 of the Administrative Code, the appointing agency shall submit a request for the executive director to evaluate the officer's training and eligibility to perform the functions of a corrections officer. Such request will be made on a form provided by the executive director and shall be submitted immediately upon appointing the officer.
(2) All persons who have completed required training and who have not been appointed as a corrections officer for less than one year may maintain their eligibility for re-appointment provided no specialized training has been mandated. If specialized training has been mandated, the specialized training shall be completed within one year of re-appointment.
(3) All persons who have completed required training and who have not been appointed as a corrections officer for one year or more but less than four years shall, within one year of re-appointment, successfully complete any specialized training, any training deemed appropriate by the appointing authority, and successfully complete the state examination as prescribed in rule 109:2-11-10 of the Administrative Code.
(4) All persons who have completed required training and who have not been appointed as a corrections officer for more than four years shall, upon re-appointment, complete entry level training required of their position as prescribed in rule 109:2-11-02 of the Administrative Code.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 109:2-11-11
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 04/10/2014 and 05/01/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: RC 109.74
Rule Amplifies: RC 109.73,RC 109.75
Prior Effective Dates: 10/01/1993, 06/15/1998, 10/01/2003