(A) Upon completion of an installation, the boiler shall be inspected by an inspector who holds a certificate of competency. At the time of the inspection, the inspector shall stamp each boiler with a serial number provided to the inspector by the boiler section at the Ohio division of industrial compliance. The stamping shall not be concealed by lagging or paint and shall be exposed at all times. The inspection shall be reported to the superintendent.
(B) A boiler which is subject to inspection shall be prepared for inspection by the owner or user of the boiler when notified by the inspector in accordance with this rule.
(C) The owner or user shall prepare a boiler for internal inspection in the following manner, as applicable:
(1) Shut down and cool the boiler slowly;
(2) Thoroughly clean the fire side of the boiler and setting;
(3) Drain water from the boiler and remove all manhole and handhole plates, washout plugs, water column plugs and any other inspection openings;
(4) Clean the water side of the boiler, remove all loose scale and mud, and wash out the boiler thoroughly;
(5) Close and secure feed water and blowoff valves prior to entry into a boiler or drum; and
(6) Make any other preparation required by the inspector.
(D) If a boiler has not been properly prepared for an internal inspection, or the owner or user fails to comply with the requirements for a hydrostatic test as set forth in these rules, the inspector may decline to make the inspection and no certificate of operation shall be issued or renewed until the boiler has been inspected by an inspector holding a certificate.
(E) If, in the judgment of the inspector it is advisable to apply a hydrostatic test to a boiler, the owner or user shall prepare for and apply the test, which shall be witnessed by the inspector.
Replaces: Former 4101:4-3-07, 4101:4-7-04, 4101:4-17-03
119.032 review dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 4104.06(B)
Rule Amplifies: 4104.11, 4104.12, 4104.13, 4104.14
Prior Effective Dates: 6/1/77, 9/1/94, 9/1/94