(A) A contributor who is married at the time of retirement under section 145.32, 145.33, 145.331, 145.332, 145.37, or 145.46 of the Revised Code, section 9.02 or 9.03 of the combined plan document, or section 9.02 of the member-directed plan document, or at the time benefits are to commence under section 145.384 or 145.64 of the Revised Code, shall receive a retirement benefit under payment plan A unless one of the following apply:
(1) The spouse consents on a form provided by the public employees retirement system that the spouse is aware that the contributor has selected plan A and a partial lump sum option payment as defined in rule 145-1-65 of the Administrative Code, or a payment plan other than plan A;
(3) The contributor is required to elect a plan of payment and designate a former spouse as beneficiary pursuant to a court order issued under section 3105.171 or 3105.65 of the Revised Code or the laws of another state regarding the division of marital property and the contributor also designates the contributor's current spouse as a beneficiary under that plan.
(4) The retirement system is required to commence a benefit described in this paragraph in accordance with section 401(a)(9) of the Internal Revenue Code and the regulations thereunder.
(B) This paragraph applies to a contributor who elects a plan of payment under which a portion of the contributor's benefit continues, after the death of the contributor, to two, three, or four surviving beneficiaries. A contributor's current spouse must also consent to the election of a plan of payment described in this paragraph if either of the following applies:
(1) The contributor is not subject to a court order issued under section 3105.171 or 3105.65 of the Revised Code or the laws of another state regarding the division of marital property that requires the contributor to elect the plan of payment described in this paragraph;
(2) The contributor is ordered to designate a former spouse as beneficiary of a specified portion of the benefit under section 3105.171 or 3105.65 of the Revised Code or the laws of another state regarding the division of marital property, but also designates a beneficiary or beneficiaries other than the contributor's current spouse and former spouse under that plan of payment.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 09/29/2016
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 145.09, 145.46
Rule Amplifies: 145.32, 145.33, 145.331, 145.332, 145.37, 145.384, 145.46, 145.64
Prior Effective Dates: 8/6/90, 2/1/93, 9/27/98, 11/2/00, 1/1/03, 1/1/04 (Emer.), 2/16/04, 10/27/06, 4/6/07 (Emer.), 7/1/07, 4/1/08 (Emer.), 6/23/08, 1/7/13 (Emer)