Chapter 149:4-1 Meetings; Officers; Rules
All regularly scheduled and special meetings of the Ohio bicentennial commission shall be governed by and conducted in accordance with Ohio's Open Meetings Act, section 121.22 of the Revised Code. The rules and regulations set forth hereinbelow with respect to meetings of the Ohio bicentennial commission shall be equally applicable to meetings of the executive committee or any other committee established by the commission, except as expressly provided otherwise. Meetings shall be governed, in the first instance, by Mason's Manual of Legislative Procedure; with respect to any matters not addressed therein, reference shall then be made to Hughes Parliamentary Guide and Robert's Rules of Order, in that order.
Regularly scheduled and special meetings of the Ohio bicentennial commission may be convened anywhere within the state of Ohio.
The chairman shall from time-to-time establish a schedule of meetings of the Ohio bicentennial commission. In addition to these regularly scheduled meetings, such special meetings as are necessary may be held upon the call of the chairman, or, in the absence of the chairman, the vice-chairman. Special meetings may also be convened upon the call of not less than twenty-five per cent of the commission's members.
(A) To commission members.
The secretary shall provide written notice of the date, time and place of each regularly scheduled meeting of the Ohio bicentennial commission to commission members at least seven days in advance by either personally delivering or sending the same via regular, first-class mail to each member's respective office or home address as last recorded in the commission's records. In the case of special meetings, the notice shall also specify the nature of the business proposed to be transacted by the Ohio bicentennial commission.
(B) To the general public.
Any person may ascertain the date, time and place of all regularly scheduled meetings, and the date, time, place and purpose of all special meetings, of the Ohio bicentennial commission by:
(1) Writing to the following address: "Ohio Bicentennial Commission, The Statehouse, Room 021 North, Columbus, Ohio 43215";
(2) Calling either of the following telephone numbers during normal business hours: (614) 752-0578 or (toll-free) (888) OHIO-200; or
(3) Visiting the commission's office at the address noted above during normal business hours.
Furthermore, the secretary shall maintain a list of all persons who have requested, in writing, notice of all meetings of the Ohio bicentennial commission at which specific subject matters designated by such persons are scheduled to be discussed. Any person may, upon payment of an annual fee, if one is established by the commission, have his name placed on such list. The Secretary shall, no later than seven days prior to each meeting, send by regular, first-class mail an agenda of the meeting to such persons.
(c) To media representatives.
(1) Special meetings. Any representative of the news media may obtain notice of all special meetings by requesting, in writing, that such notice be provided. Such notice will be given, however, to only one representative of any particular publication or radio or television station. Requests for such notification should be sent to the Ohio bicentennial commission at the address set forth in paragraph (b)(1) of this rule. The request shall provide the name of the individual media representative to be contacted, a mailing address and a maximum of two telephone numbers where that person may be reached. The secretary shall maintain a list of all representatives of the news media who have requested to be notified of any special meetings.
In the event of a special meeting not of an emergency nature, the secretary shall notify all media representatives on the aforementioned list by doing at least one of the following:
(a) Sending written notice of such special meeting to the address provided by regular, first-class mail, at least four days in advance of the date of the special meeting;
(b) Notifying such representatives by telephone at least twenty-four hours in advance of the special meeting, such telephone notice shall be complete if a message has been left for the representative or if, after reasonable effort, the secretary has been unable to provide such telephone notice; or
(c) Informing such representative personally at least twenty-four hours in advance of the special meeting.
(2) Emergency meetings. In the event of a special meeting of an emergency nature requiring immediate official action, the secretary shall notify the media representatives on the aforementioned list of the date, time, place, and purpose of the meeting either by providing the notice described in paragraph (c)(1)(b) or (c)(1)(c) of this rule or by notifying the clerk of the statehouse press room. Media representatives shall be provided with notice of any such emergency meeting as soon as practical, which may be less than twenty-four hours notice.
In giving the notices required by this rule, the secretary may rely on assistance provided by any member of the Ohio bicentennial commission or its staff, and any such notice shall be deemed properly given if provided in the manner stated in this rule.
A quorum shall consist of a majority of members duly appointed to the Ohio bicentennial commission. The affirmative votes of a majority of the members present shall be required in order for the commission to take any action. Each commission member shall be entitled to one vote on any matter of business to come before the Ohio bicentennial commission. Voting rights may not be exercised by proxy, except as may be otherwise permitted by the Revised Code.
In accordance with Section 149.32 of the Revised Code, the officers of the Ohio bicentennial commission shall be the chairman, vice-chairman and secretary.
(a) Chairman and vice-chairman.
The chairman and vice-chairman shall be elected annually by the executive committee at its first meeting held in each calendar year, commencing with the first meeting held in calendar year 1998; such officers shall hold office until the first executive committee meeting in the following year and their successors are elected and qualified. In the event that the office of chairman or vice-chairman is vacated by reason of resignation, removal or death of the officer, the executive committee shall convene within thirty days and fill the vacancy by holding a special election. The member elected to fill such office shall serve for the balance of the unexpired term.
Meetings of the Ohio bicentennial commission shall be conducted by the chairman, or in the absence of the chairman, the vice-chairman. In the absence of both the chairman and vice-chairman, the secretary shall act as chairman for that particular meeting. In the absence of all said officers, the chairman may appoint a commission member to serve as chairman pro temp.
The director of the Ohio historical society shall serve as secretary of the commission. The secretary shall perform the following duties:
(1) Prepare the minutes of all Ohio bicentennial commission meetings. In the absence of the secretary, the chairman may appoint another commission member to serve as secretary pro temp. The chairman of each committee shall designate one member of that committee to serve as its secretary for the purpose of recording, preparing, distributing and maintaining the minutes of that committee;
(2) Certify and maintain at the principal office of the Ohio bicentennial commission the original minutes of all commission meetings, any notices pertaining to such meetings, and the names of all members who attended such meetings;
(3) Ensure that all meeting notices are duly given to commission members in accordance with these rules or as may be otherwise required by law;
(4) Serve as the custodian of all records of the Ohio bicentennial commission, and see that all books, records, statements, and other documents required by law to be maintained are properly maintained; and
(5) Perform in general all duties customarily performed by persons holding the office of secretary of a state commission, and in particular such other duties as may be required of the secretary by the Ohio bicentennial commission.
The Ohio bicentennial commission may establish from time-to-time such standing and ad hoc committees as the commission members deem appropriate to facilitate the commission's business.
Any of the Ohio bicentennial commission's rules may be amended, modified, supplemented or rescinded, in whole or in part, at any time upon the affirmative vote of a majority of commission members present at a regular meeting of the Ohio bicentennial commission. Any proposed amendment, modification, supplement or recision shall be filed with the secretary at least fourteen days in advance of such meeting, and a copy of same shall be attached to the notice of the meeting sent to the commission members.