(A) Each species of wild native or naturalized mammal, bird, reptile, amphibian, mussel, fish or other aquatic or terrestrial wildlife under the authority of section 1531.02 of the Revised Code may be assigned a monetary value. This value will be derived by a score from each of seven scoring criteria listed in paragraph (A)(1) of this rule. The sum of the scores for the seven criteria in paragraph (A)(1) of this rule shall be multiplied by one of the weighting factors listed in paragraph (A)(2) of this rule. This final resulting adjusted criteria score is compared to the monetary scale shown in paragraph (A)(3) of this rule to obtain the monetary value for the wild animal.
(1) Each of the following criteria will have possible score of zero to three. A wildlife species which is not sought at all shall be scored as zero, while a highly sought species shall be scored three.
(a) Recreation. The extent to which a species is actively sought by users with wildlife interests. Scoring considers both harvest and nonharvest use of a species. There is no financial gain to the person.
(b) Aesthetic. These values represent wildlife species' beauty and unique natural history. Aesthetic values for these species exist whether or not a person ever would encounter one in its natural habitat.
(c) Educational. The educational value of a species arising from, for example, published materials and other audio-visual media about the species, displays and other educational programming or the relative frequency with which the species is used to exemplify important curricula principles.
(d) State-list designation. "Endangered, Threatened, or Species of Concern" as defined in Administrative Code and/or designated in division of wildlife document "Wildlife That Are Considered to be Endangered, Threatened, Species of Concern, Special Interest, Extirpated, or Extinct."
(e) Economics. The direct or indirect economic benefit attributable to the species as a result of recreational or legal transactions. Further evaluation for commercially desirable species will be considered (i.e., pet trade, for human consumption, traditional medicine, religious or cultural trade, etc.).
(f) Recruitment. Reproductive and survival potential of a species as it relates to the capability for replacement of its population following decrease or loss.
(g) Population dynamics. Impact of the loss of the individual animal to its local or sub-population, and the impact of the loss to it's Ohio population.
(2) The individual scores for each criteria in paragraph (A)(1) of this rule are summed to derive a total criteria score. This total criteria score is multiplied by one of the following weighting factors which will adjust the summed criteria score for variance in public demand and/or perception of value for a species. The weighting factor relates the overall demand for a species to its existing supply and to future opportunity for public use.
(a) 1.0 --Abundant. Common across its Ohio range with no consumptive use.
(b) 1.1 --Common or species of concern. Common across its Ohio range with consumptive recreational demand, or designated as a species of concern.
(c) 1.3 --Threatened. A species designated by the division of wildlife as threatened.
(d) 1.5 --Endangered., A species designated by the division of wildlife as endangered, which is vulnerable to extirpation from the state.
(3) The total criteria score multiplied by the weighting factor in paragraph (A)(2) of this rule, provides an adjusted criteria score and correlates to the restitution value in the following table.
Adjusted Criteria and Value
|Score Range||Monetary Value|
|10.1 - 11.9||$ 500.00|
|20.1 +||$2, 500.00|
(B) The chief of the division of wildlife or his authorized representative may bring a civil action to recover possession of or the restitution value of any wild animal held, taken, bought, sold or possessed in violation of Chapter 1531. or Chapter 1533. of the Revised Code or any division rule against any person who held, took, bought, sold or possessed, the wild animal. The following shall be presumed to be the minimum value to the state of wild animals illegally held, taken, bought, sold or possessed.
(1) Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator) -$ 1, 000.00
(2) Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) - $2, 500.00
(3) Massasauga Rattlesnake (Sistrurus catenatus) - $2, 500.00
(4) Fanshell (Cyprogenia stegaria)- $2, 500.00
(5) Clubshell (Pleurobema clava) - $2, 500.00
(6) Northern riffleshell (Epioblasma torulosa) - $2, 500.00
(7) Lake Erie watersnake (Nerodia sipedon insularum) - $ 750.00
(8) Peregrine Falcon (Falco peregrinus) - $2, 500.00
(9) Bald Eagle (Haliaeetus leucocephalus) -$ 750.00
(10) Eastern hellbender (Crytpobranchus alleganiensis alleganiensis) - $2, 500.00
(11) Black Bear (Ursus americanus) - $ 1000.00
(12) River Otter (Lontra canadensis) - $ 500.00
(13) Wild Turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) - $ 500.00
(14) White Tail Deer antlered (Odocoileus virginianus) - $ 500.00
(15) White Tail Deer antlerless (Odocoileus virginianus) - $ 250.00
(16) Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) - $ 250.00
(17) Walleye (Sander vitreus) - $ 50.00
(18) Sauger (Sander canadensis) - $ 50.00
(19) Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides) - $ 50.00
(20) Hybrid Striped Bass (Morone saxatilus x M. chrysops) - $ 50.00
(21) Brown Trout (Salmo trutta) -$ 50.00
(22) Northern Pike (Esox lucius) - $ 50.00
(23) Saugeye (Sander vitreus x S. canadensis) - $ 50.00
(24) Flathead catfish (Pylodictis olivaris) - $ 50.00
(25) Blue catfish (Ictalurus furcatus) - $ 50.00
(26) Smallmouth Bass (Micropterus dolomieu) - $ 50.00
(27) Striped Bass (Morone saxatilis) - $ 50.00
(28) Muskellunge (Esox masquinongy)- $ 50.00
(29) Steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) - $ 50.00
(30) Herring gull (Larus argentatus) - $ 20.00
(31) Ring-billed gull (Larus delawarensis) - $ 20.00
(32) Double-crested cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus) - $ 20.00
(33) All other species listed as of concern $ 250.00
(34) All other threatened species $ 750.00
(35) All other endangered species $ 1000.00
(36) All other non-game birds - $ 100.00
(37) All other game birds: - $ 50.00
(38) All other game quadrupeds: - $ 50.00
(39) All other wild animals: - $ 20.00
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 02/06/2012 and 04/17/2017
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 1531.06, 1531.08, 1531.10, 1531.201
Rule Amplifies: 1531.06, 1531.08, 1531.10, 1531.201
Prior Effective Dates: 1/1/2008, 7/1/2010, 7/1/11