(A) On any state public hunting area, or on any area under control of the division of wildlife by virtue of a lease, or agreement, it shall be unlawful for any person:
(1) To hunt within an area posted with "Safety Zone" signs on a cooperative or a controlled hunting area, without the prior permission of the landowner or tenant in control of such safety zone.
(2) To shoot a fully automatic firearm on a division owned, administered or controlled area including target ranges. Provided further, it shall be unlawful to use any trigger assisting devices to alter a firearm to shoot like a fully automatic firearm.
(3) To hunt within an area posted with division of wildlife "No Hunting Zone" signs.
(B) Prohibited times for using firearms on public hunting areas.
(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to use a rifle, pistol, revolver, shotgun or other firearm at any time on any land or water area owned, controlled or administered by the wildlife division except while lawfully trapping, or hunting wild animals, or target practicing on a designated division of wildlife target range. Target practice on a designated division of wildlife range shall be daily from sunrise to sunset unless posted by signs stating the hours the target range is open.
(2) It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot in any direction other than from the firing line down range to the target on any division of wildlife target range.
(3) It shall be unlawful for any person to use any type of target, other than a single sheet of paper on a division of wildlife target range, except that clay targets may be used on division of wildlife target ranges equipped for trap and skeet only.
(4) It shall be unlawful to use a shotgun or rifle loaded with any projectile other than shot on a designated shotgun range. Shotguns firing rifled slugs or single projectiles may be used on designated rifle ranges.
(5) It shall be unlawful for any person to fail to leave a division of wildlife shooting range when so ordered by a division of wildlife employee. Provided further, it shall be unlawful to violate any range rules established at any division of wildlife target range.
(6) It shall be unlawful to use shotshells on any division of wildlife target range, which has a lead containment system which is designed for single projectiles of lead or other single metal projectiles.
(7) It shall be unlawful to use any explosive target that when shot will cause another explosion to occur.
(8) It shall be unlawful for any person to enter a division of wildlife class "A" range before he or she signs in on a form provided by the range attendant.
(9) It shall be unlawful to fire any weapon in a repeated manner that causes the person firing the weapon to fail to completely control the muzzle of the weapon.
(C) Areas having limited or no firearm use:
(1) It is unlawful for any person to use a rifle, pistol, or revolver at any time on the Lake park, Aquilla, state public hunting areas.
(2) It is unlawful for any person to use a rifle, pistol, or revolver at any time on the Auburn marsh and Grant lake state public hunting areas. Shotguns may be used only to take migratory birds, rabbits, pheasants, squirrel, and quail during the open season prescribed for such species or on designated target range areas.
(D) Supervised rifle and pistol ranges shall be designated class A target ranges. Class A ranges are located at the following wildlife areas: Spring Valley, Deer Creek, Grand river, Delaware and Woodbury. It shall be unlawful for persons age eighteen or older to use class A ranges except when the person has made application and received from the chief of the division of wildlife a "Range Permit," the fee for which shall be twenty-three dollars and a one dollar writing fee annually. The "Range Permit" shall begin the first day of March of the current year and expire on the last day of February of the following year. Provided further, individuals who do not hold an annual "Range Permit" may use the class A ranges for a fee of four dollars and a one dollar writing fee per day. Persons seventeen and under must be accompanied by an adult holding a valid "Range Permit." There shall be a four dollar fee for reissuing a range permit.
(E) Unsupervised rifle and pistol target ranges shall be designated class B target ranges.
(F) Unsupervised shotgun ranges where clay targets are used shall be designated class C target ranges.
(G) Unsupervised archery target ranges shall be designated as class D archery target ranges.
(H) It shall be unlawful to use a class A range unless the shooter first registers with the range supervisor.
(I) It shall be unlawful to use, place, or shoot at any target on a class A or class B range except in the designated target area, or to shoot from any place except the firing line.
(J) It shall be unlawful to leave target materials, other than clay pigeons on any range owned or controlled by the division.
(K) It shall be unlawful for any person to shoot a cannon on any division range.
(L) It shall be unlawful for any person to use tracer ammunition on any division of wildlife owned, controlled, or administered property.
(M) It shall be unlawful for any person to use a division of wildlife target range when designated closed.
(N) It shall be unlawful to use any shot size larger than number 6 lead or number 4 steel on a class C range.
(O) It shall be unlawful to use any firearm for target practice on a class D range.
(P) It shall be unlawful to use arrows tipped with a broadhead on any division of wildlife archery ranges, except that arrows tipped with broadheads may be used in designated target areas specially provided for their use.
(Q) All definitions set forth in rule 1501:31-1-02 of the Administrative Code shall apply to this rule.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 02/04/2013 and 07/11/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 1531.06, 1531.08, 1531.10
Rule Amplifies: 1531.06, 1531.08, 1531.10
Prior Effective Dates: 8/25/75, 5/1/76, 8/30/78, 7/11/80, 11/12/82, 4/20/87, 7/7/92, 10/1/93, 5/16/96, 6/1/97, 11/12/99, 7/5/00, 7/22/01, 3/1/02, 7/19/02, 11/13/02, 7/28/03, 5/28/04, 6/1/06, 7/1/2009, 7/1/2012, 1/1/2013