Chapter 3301-10 School Enrollment for Domestic Violence Victims
(A) Tuition requirements
A child who is with his/her parent, as parent is defined in section 3313.64 of the Revised Code and who is under the care of a shelter for victims of domestic violence, as defined in section 3113.33 of the Revised Code, is entitled to attend school free in the district in which the child is with his/her parent and no other school district shall be required to pay tuition for the child's attendance in that school district.
(B) Enrollment and placement
(1) The enrollment of a child in a school district under this rule shall not be denied due to a delay in the school district's receipt of any records required under section 3313.672 of the Revised Code or any other records required for enrollment.
(2) The enrollment of the child shall take place immediately upon his or her request to be admitted into school. At the time of entry, the child and/or parent under the care of a shelter for victims of domestic violence shall notify the receiving school of that fact. Upon being so informed, the school shall inform the elementary or secondary school from which it requests the pupil's records of that fact. The notified school shall not release to any person, or permit any person to have access to, any information about the location of the elementary or secondary school to which this child has transferred.
(3) In the absence of sufficient records, temporary placement shall be made from information gathered from the child, parent or personal contact with the previous school, at the time of enrollment.
(4) Upon the receipt of sufficient records, appropriate placement shall be determined by the receiving school.
(5) The receiving school may not use previous records of attendance in determining academic grade determination or nonparticipation in extracurricular activities.
(6) Within twenty-four hours of the child's entry into the school, a school official shall request the pupil's official records from the elementary or secondary school he most recently attended in accordance with section 3313.672 of the Revised Code.
(C) Credits and grades
(1) Receiving schools must accept grade placement and credits pursuant to paragraph (F) of rule 3301-35-04 of the Administrative Code.
(2) Any grades or credits earned by a child enrolled in a school pursuant to this rule shall be transferred to and accepted by any school in which the child subsequently enrolls.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 01/05/2009 and 03/23/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3301.07, 3313.64(F)(9)
Rule Amplifies: 3313.64(F)(9)
Prior Effective Dates: 6/14/1991