(A) Each fairness sensitivity review committee shall review all questions for tests prescribed under sections 3301.0710 and 3301.0712 of the Revised Code pursuant to section 3301.079 of the Revised Code.
(B) Membership of each fairness sensitivity review committee shall consist of not less than twenty and not greater that thirty-five members of each in four grade level bands of tests: grades kindergarten through two, grades three through five, grades six through eight, and grades nine through twelve.
(C) Membership shall be determined by the department.
(D) Membership of each fairness sensitivity review committee shall represent specific groups of educators, parents, and community members as follows:
(1) Educators and/or parents of hearing impaired students; at least one and not more than two members;
(2) Educators and/or parents of visually impaired students; at least one and not more than two members;
(3) Educators and/or parents of English learners ; at least one and not more than two members;
(4) Educators and/or parents of other students with disabilities; at least one and not more than three members;
(5) Educators and/or parents of gifted students; at least one and not more than two members;
(6) Parents of students in each grade band; at least two and not more than five members;
(7) Community members who represent various groups that ensure a culturally diverse representation; at least three and not more than five;
(8) Educators and/or parents who represent all types of schools in Ohio; public, community schools, and nonpublic schools for that grade band;
(9) All regions of the state of Ohio are represented; and
(10) A balance of gender, and ethnicity is represented in the overall committee membership.
(E) The length of membership for each committee member shall be limited to three years.
(F) The review shall include, for each question reviewed, an evaluation of the following criteria to ensure that:
(1) Test questions do not promote or inquire as to individual moral or social values or beliefs;
(2) Test questions do not disadvantage groups of students because of their race, ethnicity, gender or disability;
(3) Diverse cultures are represented in tests and that material used neither offends nor stereotypes any student group;
(4) Test questions do not reflect an improper balance among gender, racial or ethnic groups;
(5) Test illustrations do not reflect an imbalance of physical types and avoid evidence of physical disability;
(6) Test questions do not contain materials understood only by specific cultural groups;
(7) Test questions do not use language that is interpreted differently by members of different groups of students;
(8) Test questions are not offensive or emotionally disturbing to a group of students;
(9) Test questions do not contain directions or scoring guidelines that assist or credit responses more typical of one group of students than another; and
(10) Test question scoring guidelines do not assign the highest possible score to those students who provide more information than requested by said test question.
(G) Each fairness sensitivity review committee shall review test questions, material, and illustrations using the criteria set forth in this rule.
(H) Each fairness sensitivity review committee may not judge, rate, or reject test questions based on academic content alignment with Ohio's learning standards.
(I) Each fairness sensitivity review committee shall review test questions in accordance with this rule and shall judge test questions to be:
(1) Approved for use with no revisions or only minor revisions;
(2) Revised and return to the committee for further review and consideration; or
(3) Rejected from use on tests. If items, test material, or illustrations are rejected, the committee must specifically note which of the specific criteria of this rule are the basis of the rejection.
(J) The decision of each fairness sensitivity committee shall be final.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 2/8/2018 and 04/27/2023
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3301.07, 3301.079
Rule Amplifies: 3301.0710, 3301.0711, 3301.0712, 3301.079
Prior Effective Dates: 12/21/2007