Pursuant to section 3313.605 of the Revised Code, the state superintendent of public instruction is required to adopt rules for granting a student special certification upon successful completion of an approved community service learning project.
(A) Governing authority, for the purpose of this rule, shall mean the board of education of a city, local, exempted village and joint vocational school district, the governing authority of a community school established under Chapter 3314. of the Revised Code, and the governing body of a STEM school established under Chapter 3326. of the Revised Code.
(B) The governing authority of a school that includes community service education in its education program shall, pursuant to section 3313.605 of the Revised Code, award the community service learning special recognition to any graduating senior who is determined to be eligible in accordance with the following provisions:
(1) Completes the high school curriculum, individualized education program, or career-technical education program as developed for the student by the high school;
(2) Attains proficient scores on all Ohio graduation tests required for high school graduation under division (B) of section 3301.0710 of the Revised Code, or meets one of the conditions in division (A) of section 3313.618 of the Revised Code, or an alternative pathway, and;
(3) Successfully completes a community service-learning project in grades nine through twelve that receives an excellent rating on the Ohio community service-learning project rubric available at www.education.ohio.gov.
(1) Establish a community service learning advisory committee that shall make recommendations and oversee and assist in the implementation of the community service learning plan;
(2) Determine the membership and organization of its advisory committee, or designate the responsibilities to an existing committee; and.
(a) Each committee shall include at least two students and shall also include (or consult with) at least one person employed in the field of volunteer management.
(b) Committee members may include parents, teachers, administrators, representatives of other educational institutions, business, government, nonprofit organizations, veterans organizations, social service agencies, religious organizations, and philanthropies.
(3) Prior to the beginning of each school year , notify all high school students and parents of the criteria required for earning the community service learning special certification as provided for by this rule.
(D) Pursuant to division (B)(2) of section 3313.605 of the Revised Code, a community service learning plan adopted pursuant to this rule shall be based upon the recommendations of the advisory committee and shall provide for the following:
(1) Integration of community service into the curriculum;
(2) Instruction for teachers on strategies for identifying and collaborating with community partners, integrating community service learning into the curriculum, and effectively addressing local issues and needs;
(3) Education of students in the value of community service and its contributions to the history of the state and nation;
(4) Encouragement and identification of opportunities for students to provide community service;
(5) Inclusion of the plan into the course of study; and
(6) At least once every five years, the advisory committee shall review the community service learning plan, which shall be revised, if necessary, by the governing authority.
(E) Pursuant to division (B)(2)(e) of section 3313.605 of the Revised Code, each community service learning plan shall contain assurances that students shall not supplant, cause the firing of, result in the displacement of, or impair an existing employment contract of any particular employee of any private or governmental entity for which services are performed.
(F) The governing authority or school shall not require students to make application or declare intention to qualify for the community service learning special certification.
(G) The provisions of this rule shall not prohibit a governing authority or school from recognizing community service in ways outside the purview of this rule; only students who meet the criteria described in this rule, however, shall qualify for the community service learning special certification as established by this rule.
(H) A governing authority shall be encouraged to include the joint vocational school district in which its students are enrolled in the development any local policies, guidelines, or procedures adopted pursuant to this rule.
(I) At least annually, and as otherwise requested, each joint vocational school district shall provide to the appropriate home district the status of students enrolled at the vocational school with regard to the criteria described in paragraph (B) of this rule.
(J) The community service learning special certification shall be in such form as a certificate, bear the date of issue, and contain the signature of the state superintendent of public instruction.
(K) Pursuant to division (B)(2)(e) of section 3313.605 of the Revised Code, each community service learning plan, including those revised pursuant to paragraph (D)(6) of this rule, shall be submitted to the department for review. The department shall publish those plans that could serve as models for other school districts.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 3301-16-03