(A) As used in this rule, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Seal of biliteracy program" means a program designed to recognize high school graduates who demonstrate applicable high levels of proficiency in comprehension, speaking, reading, and writing in one or more languages in addition to English.
(2) "High level of proficiency" means measured language proficiency at a level sufficient for meaningful use in college and a career as outlined in the Ohio department of education's guidance, available at www.education.ohio.gov.
(3) "Foreign language" has the same meaning as division (E) of section 3313.6111 of the Revised Code.
(4) "Participating school" means any school that elects to participate in the state seal of biliteracy program.
(B) Each participating school may award the seal of biliteracy to any graduating high school student who is determined to meet the following criteria:
(1) The student is eligible to earn a high school diploma;
(2) The student entered the ninth grade on or after July 1, 2014, and will graduate with the high school class of 2018 or after;
(3) The student satisfies one of the following English language arts qualifiers:
(a) Earn a proficient level or higher on Ohio's required state test(s) for high school English language arts;
(b) Earn a remediation free score on the English and reading sections of one of the state-recognized college readiness examinations prescribed by division (B)(1) of section 3301.0712 of the Revised Code, or pursuant to section 3313.619 of the Revised Code, earn a proficient level or higher on an Ohio department of education approved alternative assessment; or
(c) Earn a score of proficient on the Ohio English language proficiency assessment, or the assessment approved by the department of education pursuant to division (C)(3) of section 3301.0711 of the Revised Code used to assess a student's progress in learning English if the student has been identified as an English language learner.
(4) The student must satisfy one of the following foreign language qualifiers:
(a) Pass a foreign language advanced placement examination with a high level of proficiency;
(b) Pass an international baccalaureate foreign language examination with a high level of proficiency;
(c) Demonstrate a high level of proficiency in comprehension, speaking, reading and writing the foreign language based on the American council on the teaching of foreign languages proficiency guidelines found at http://www.actfl.org/, using assessments approved by the Ohio department of education;
(d) Qualify for proficiency-based credits through Ohio's credit flexibility program and demonstrate a high level of proficiency in comprehension, speaking, reading and writing based on the American council on the teaching of foreign languages proficiency guidelines using assessments approved by the Ohio department of education;
(e) Demonstrate a high level of proficiency in interpersonal signing, presentational signing, and demonstrate an understanding of American sign language on an American sign language assessment approved by the Ohio department of education; or
(f) Demonstrate a high level of proficiency in interpretive reading and presentational writing on a classical language assessment approved by the Ohio department of education.
(C) Each participating school, in consultation with the guidance provided by the Ohio department of education, shall award a seal of biliteracy to each eligible graduating senior who meets the minimum requirements in paragraph (B) of this rule. Each participating school shall include the following notation on each eligible students' transcript: "<student name> is awarded the Ohio seal of biliteracy for demonstrating high levels of proficiency in English and <foreign language>."
(D) Pursuant to division (F) of section 3313.6110 of the Revised Code a diploma granted by a parent, guardian, or other person having charge or care of a student may be assigned a state seal of biliteracy.
(E) A district or school's participation in the state seal of biliteracy program shall be voluntary.
(F) The Ohio department of education shall prepare and deliver to participating schools an appropriate mechanism for assigning a state seal of biliteracy on a student's transcript.