A principal should be able to demonstrate success in each of the areas described in paragraphs (A) to (E) of this rule, as referenced in the Ohio standards for principals adopted by the state board of education (available on the educator standards board's website at http://esb.ode.state.oh.us). Administrator preparation programs should be informed by business, education, and the community.
(A) Continuous improvement
Principals help to create a shared vision and clear goals for their schools and ensure continuous progress toward achieving the goals.
(1) Principals facilitate the articulation and realization of a shared vision of continuous school improvement.
(2) Principals lead the process of setting, monitoring, and achieving specific and challenging goals that reflect high expectations for all students and staff.
(3) Principals lead the change process for continuous improvement.
(4) Principals anticipate, monitor, and respond to educational developments that affect school issues and school environment.
Principals support the implementation of high-quality standards-based instruction that results in higher levels of achievement for all students
(1) Principals ensure that the instructional content that is taught is aligned with the Ohio academic content standards (available at education.ohio.gov) and curriculum priorities of the school and district.
(2) Principals ensure that instructional practices are effective and meet the needs of all students.
(3) Principals advocate for high levels of learning for all students, including students identified as gifted, students with disabilities, and at-risk students.
(4) Principals know, understand, and share relevant research.
(5) Principals understand, encourage, and facilitate the effective use of data by staff.
(6) Principals support staff in planning and implementing research-based professional development.
(C) School operations, resources, and learning environment
Principals allocate resources and manage school operations in order to ensure a safe and productive learning environment.
(1) Principals establish and maintain a safe school environment.
(2) Principals create a nurturing learning environment that addresses the physical and mental health needs of all.
(3) Principals allocate resources, including technology, to support student and staff learning.
(4) Principals institute procedures and practices to support staff and students and establish an environment that is conducive to learning.
(5) Principals understand, uphold and model professional ethics, policies, and legal codes of professional conduct.
Principals establish and sustain collaborative learning and shared leadership to promote student learning and achievement of all students.
(1) Principals promote a collaborative learning culture.
(2) Principals share leadership with staff, students, parents, and community members.
(3) Principals develop and sustain leadership.
(E) Parents and community engagement
Principals engage parents and community members in the educational process and create an environment where community resources support student learning, achievement, and well-being.
(1) Principals use community resources to improve student learning.
(2) Principals involve parents and community members in improving student learning.
(3) Principals connect the school with the community.
(4) Principals establish expectations for the use of culturally-responsive practices, which acknowledge and value diversity.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 3301-24-09
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 01/07/2013 and 03/24/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3301.07, 3319.22
Rule Amplifies: 3319.22
Prior Effective Dates: 1/1/00; 1/1/03; 2/22/08