(B) Terminology used in this chapter shall be as defined as follows:
(1) "Accountability system for the Ohio education computer network" (OECN) means the collective grouping of instruments used by the Ohio department of education to determine the quality and adequacy of services provided by an information technology center. These instruments may include, but not be limited to, the following: any materials produced by other governmental agencies or trusted third parties at the request of the Ohio department of education or in the normal course of doing business; user satisfaction surveys; quality implementation metrics; service-level agreements and compliance therewith; and, continuous improvement plans.
(2) "ADM" means total average daily membership by school building and district as certified by the department from data collected from districts during the designated EMIS counting period.
(3) "Business continuity plan" means a plan defining the specific steps that shall will be taken to provide emergency services in the event that an information technology center is unable to provide the normal services required by its users.
(4) "Continuing education unit" (CEU) means ten contact hours of participation in formal education for professional development and training conducted by a provider approved by a recognized local professional development committee (LPDC).
(5) "Core services" are the minimum set of state-subsidized information technology services that each information technology center is required by the Ohio department of education to offer its user entities. This minimum set of information technology services shall be determined through policies issued and guidelines periodically communicated by the Ohio department of education. These services may include, but are not limited to, the following:
(a) Fiscal services, including accounting (cash basis with generally accepted accounting practice extensions), payroll/personnel, and fixed asset accounting;
(b) Student records management, including provisions for student scheduling, grade reporting, attendance tracking, and tracking of special education needs;
(c) State-mandated data reporting, including access to the appropriate department databases and software applications;
(d) Library automation, curricular resources, and educational technology services to support academic content standards and effective instruction; and
(e) Internet access and networking services, including email and the support of data exchange within the information technology center's user entities and across different information technology centers and their user entities.
(6) "Council of governments" (COG) means a regional organization of public governmental entities established pursuant to Chapter 167. of the Revised Code.
(7) "Department" means the Ohio department of education.
(8) "District" means any city, county, exempted village, local, joint vocational, or cooperative education school district as classified pursuant to section 3311.01 of the Revised Code or any public community school as classified pursuant to section 3314.01 of the Revised Code.
(9) "Electronic format" means a method of organizing data elements that enables data generated by one computer system to be read and used by another computer system without further human adjustment or modification of the transfer medium.
(10) "Electronic mail" (email ) means a paperless method of communicating and storing messages using a computer or a network ofcomputers.
(11) "Electronic networking" means a data communication configuration in which two or more devices are connected to enable information transfer. Such a configuration permits the electronic linkage of computer systems over a large geographic area.
(12) "End user" means any employee of a user entity who interacts with an information technology center and is a direct recipient and benefactor of the core services.
(13) "Fiscal agent" means a board of education or governing board of a school district, educational service center, or council of government that has been designated by a computer consortium's governing body to function as the custodian of funds for that consortium organization pursuant to section 3313.92 of the Revised Code.
(15) (14) "Information technology" means that whole body of methods and materials, including the use of computer systems and related electronic devices, that is utilized to process information.
(16) (15) "Information technology center" (ITC) means an entity that has been authorized pursuant to section 3301.075 of the Revised Code and authorized by the department to provide core services to user entities.
(17) (16) "Instructional technology" means the use of available technological resources, such as computer systems, software and data communications equipment, in an effort to enhance the learning environment of students with the ultimate goal ofimproving academic achievement.
(18) (17) "Large district user entity" means a user entity with an ADM greater than or equal to twenty-thousand students.
(19) (18) "Ohio education computer network" (OECN) means that collective group of information technology centers authorized pursuant to section 3301.075 of the Revised Code, and their participating school districts and community schools. Such centers, in conjunction with the Ohio department of education, comprise a statewide delivery system to provide comprehensive, cost-efficient information technology services for participating Ohio school districts and community schools.
(20) (19) "Quality implementation metrics" are the data reported by the Ohio department of education that reflect information technology center actual performance relative to the quality implementation standards.
(21) (20) "Quality implementation standards" are the benchmarks set by the Ohio department ofeducation for successful delivery ofcore services.
(21) "Site review" means an on-site peer review conducted by the Ohio department of education or its designee as a means to assess the effectiveness of the delivery of core services and the general user entity satisfaction of an information technology center.
(22) "User entity" means any organization authorized by the department to utilize the services of an information technology center. Such a user entity shall have voting representation in the information technology center. The user entity may be any district or community school as defined in paragraph (B)(8) of this rule or any other public educational entity as determined by the department.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 03/03/2010 and 05/22/2015
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3301.07, 3301.075
Rule Amplifies: 3301.075
Prior Effective Dates: 4-1-72; 5-1-79; 6-19-87; 7-1-95; 2-13-04