(A) A person trained to recognize the common signs of communicable disease or other illness shall observe each child daily as he enters a group. A "person trained to recognize the common signs of communicable disease" means any person trained in prevention, recognition, and management of communicable diseases as required by paragraph (D) of rule 3301-37-07 of the Administrative Code.
(B) The following precautions shall be taken for children suspected of having a communicable disease:
(1) The program shall immediately notify the parent or guardian of the child's condition when a child has been observed with signs or symptoms of illness.
(2) A child with any of the following signs or symptoms of illness shall be immediately isolated and discharged to his parent or guardian:
(a) Diarrhea (more than one abnormally loose stool within a twenty-four-hour period);
(b) Severe coughing, causing the child to become red or blue in the face or to make a whooping sound;
(c) Difficult or rapid breathing;
(d) Yellowish skin or eyes;
(f) Temperature of one hundred degrees Fahrenheit taken by the auxiliary method when in combination with other signs of illness;
(g) Untreated infected skin patch(es);
(h) Unusually dark urine and/or grey or white stool; or
(i) Stiff neck; or
(j) Evidence of lice, scabies, or other parasitic infestation.
(3) A child with any of the following signs or symptoms of illness shall be immediately isolated from other children. Decisions regarding whether the child should be discharged immediately or at some other time during the day shall be determined by the director and the parent or guardian. the child, while isolated at the program, shall be carefully watched for symptoms listed in paragraph (B)(2) of this rule as well as the following:
(a) Unusual spots or rashes;
(b) Sore throat or difficulty in swallowing;
(c) Elevated temperature; or
(4) Programs shall follow the Ohio department of health "child day care communicable disease chart" (www.odjfs.state.oh.us/forms) for appropriate management of suspected illnesses.
(5) A child isolated due to suspected communicable disease shall be:
(a) Cared for in a room or portion of a room not being used in the preschool program;
(b) Within sight and hearing of an adult at all times. no child shall ever be left alone or unsupervised;
(c) Made comfortable and provided with a cot. all linens and blankets used by the ill child shall be laundered before being used by another child. After use, the cots shall be disinfected with an appropriate germicidal agent, or, if soiled with blood, feces, vomit, or other body fluids, the cots shall be cleaned with soap and water and then disinfected with an appropriate germicidal agent;
(d) Observed carefully for worsening condition; and
(e) Discharged to parent, guardian, or person designated by the parent or guardian as soon as practical.
(C) Each program shall have a written policy concerning the management of communicable disease. the policy shall include, at a minimum:
(1) The program's means of training all preschool staff in signs and symptoms of illness and in hand-washing and disinfection procedures;
(2) Procedures for isolating and discharging an ill child and policy for readmitting such child;
(3) Procedures for notifying the parent or guardian immediately when a child is exhibiting signs or symptoms of illness or has been exposed to a communicable disease; and
(4) Procedures regarding the care of a mildly ill child. "Mildly ill child" means a child who is experiencing minor common cold symptoms, but who is not exhibiting any of the symptoms specified in paragraph (B) of this rule or a child who does not feel well enough to participate in activities, but who is not exhibiting any of the symptoms specified in paragraph (B) of this rule.
(5) Procedures for notifying all parents of enrolled children when children are exposed to a diagnosed communicable disease such as pink eye, ringworm, chicken pox, or lice.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 04/09/2009 and 06/25/2014
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3301.07 , 3301.53
Rule Amplifies: 3301.52 - 3301.59
Prior Effective Dates: 8-5-88, 5-28-04