(A) The district board of education that operates an adult high school continuation program shall grant credit to a student who successfully completes one of the following:
(1) One half high school credit shall be granted for a minimum of sixty clock hours of instruction;
(2) One high school credit shall be granted for a minimum of one hundred twenty clock hours of instruction; or
(3) An appropriate unit of high school credit shall be granted for an educational option approved by the district superintendent in accordance with board of education policy, with the provisions of paragraph (B)(6) of rule 3301-35-01 of the Administrative Code, and with provisions of paragraph (G) of rule 3301-35-06 of the Administrative Code.
(B) In accordance with procedures established pursuant to the provisions of paragraph (C) of this rule, the board of education of a city, exempted village, or local school district may award equivalent adult high school credit for successful completion of the following:
(1) Any educational option that is provided by the district in accordance with the provisions of paragraph (B)(6) of rule 3301-35-01 of the Administrative Code and paragraph (G) of rule 3301-35-06 of the Administrative Code; or
(2) Any portfolio including a compilation and documentation of life experiences which, upon evaluation by appropriately certificated staff, demonstrates the applicant's mastery of competencies that the district board of education has approved as equivalent to those attained in a classroom setting. Such experiences may include one or more of the following:
(a) Work experience;
(b) Experience as a volunteer;
(c) Completion of an academic, career-technical, or self improvement course offered by a chartered public or nonpublic school or by any organization, institution, or educational institution other than a chartered public or nonpublic school; and
(d) Other life experiences considered by the district board of education to provide knowledge, learning experiences, and competencies comparable to those attained in a classroom setting.
(C) Prior to evaluating educational and/or life experiences pursuant to paragraph (B) of this rule, the district board of education shall establish procedures for awarding equivalent adult high school credits. Such procedures shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) Staff who hold certificates appropriate for the subject in which equivalent credit is granted shall provide instruction and/or evaluate applicant performance in tutorial and independent study programs;
(2) Staff who hold certificates appropriate for the subject in which credit is granted shall evaluate applicant performance in correspondence courses, educational travel, mentor programs, and portfolio development;
(3) Each applicant's learning experiences and competencies shall be evaluated in terms of their equivalence to those experiences and competencies attained through the regular classroom instruction. Such an evaluation shall be based on a review of the following components of the regular classroom program:
(a) Subject objectives;
(b) Instructional activities, materials, and environment; and
(c) Criteria and methods of assessing student performance;
(4) Equivalent adult high school credits awarded pursuant to this rule by any chartered public or nonpublic Ohio high school shall be counted toward the credits an applicant needs for earning the diploma of adult education; and
(5) Equivalent adult high school credits awarded pursuant to this rule shall not be counted toward the credits needed for earning a certificate or diploma issued pursuant to section 3313.61 of the Revised Code.
(D) No more than six equivalent adult high school credits shall be applied toward the credits required for earning the diploma of adult education issued pursuant to section 3313.611 of the Revised Code.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3301.07, 3313.531, 3313.611
Rule Amplifies: 3313.531, 3313.611 , 3303.01
Prior Effective Dates: 12-1-69; 12-20-76; 10-1-90; 5-12-03