(A) General provisions.
(1) Each city, local, and exempted village board of education must adopt an intradistrict open enrollment policy, effective with the school year that begins July 1, 1993, allowing district students to enroll in an alternative school.
(B) Student application and admitting procedures and records.
(1) Each school district adopting an intradistrict open enrollment policy shall be required to include in the policy, but shall not be limited to, the following provisions:
(a) A district-wide time line for parental information, application process, and notification of acceptance;
(b) Criteria for prioritizing applications for participation in intradistrict open enrollment;
(c) Criteria for establishing district capacity limits by grade level, school building, and educational program; and
(d) Procedures to ensure that appropriate racial balance is maintained in the district schools.
(2) Each school district with an intradistrict open enrollment policy shall maintain, but shall not be limited to, the following records:
(a) Individual student applications and a summary of those student applications for a school year;
(b) Evidence of parental informational meetings; and
(c) Evidence of the notification of parents and school building administrators.
(C) School district monitoring.
(1) School districts participating in intradistrict open enrollment shall be monitored by the Ohio department of education. The monitoring process shall determine that the policies, agreements, procedures, and guidelines developed by the school districts are implemented as specified in section 3313.97 of the Revised Code.
(2) For monitoring purposes, each school district shall provide the Ohio department of education the following upon request:
(a) Written application and admission procedures and the application form used by the district;
(b) Written procedure for establishing district capacity limits by grade level, school building, and education program;
(c) Written procedure to ensure that an appropriate racial balance is maintained in the district schools; and
(d) Access to records as described in paragraph (B)(2) of this rule.
(3) The Ohio department of education monitoring process shall consist of the following:
(a) Pursuant to deadlines established by the Ohio department of education, districts will be required to certify to the department, in the format prescribed by the department, that the district is complying with the requirements in section 3313.97 of the Revised Code;
(b) The Ohio department of education may request such documents as necessary to verify that open enrollment policies adopted are being adhered to by the district. This monitoring may also be completed via an on-site visit to the district.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 3301-48-01