(A) Safety instruction shall be given to all regularly transported pupils in grades kindergarten through three within two weeks after the commencement of classes each school year (see section 3327.16 of the Revised Code). The program shall include but not be limited to:
(1) Safe walking practices to and from the bus stop.
(2) Wearing of light-colored or reflective clothing when going to and from the bus stop in darkness.
(3) How and where to wait safely for the bus including how to avoid personal risks involving strangers.
(4) What to do if the bus is late or does not arrive.
(5) How to enter and leave the bus safely. This instruction shall include the potential hazards regarding the snagging of clothing, backpacks, or other items, as well as items which may be dropped around or under the bus.
(7) Safely crossing the highway before boarding and after leaving the bus.
(8) Respect for the rights and privileges of others.
(9) The dangers of trespassing in a railroad right-of-way and other dangerous areas.
(B) Pupils enrolled in grades four through twelve and regularly transported shall be properly instructed in safety procedures on and around the school bus.
(C) Passengers participating in nonroutine use of school buses shall receive safety instructions at the beginning of the bus trip. (The return portion of a round trip event is excluded from this requirement.) Instruction shall include identification of safety exits, the requirement to keep aisles clear, the requirement to remain seated while the bus is in motion, and other rules as adopted by local policy.
(D) The procedure in paragraphs (A), (B), and (C) of this rule may require modification for pre-school and special needs children.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 05/08/2013 and 07/25/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3301.07 ; 4511.76
Rule Amplifies: 3327.16 ; 4511.76
Prior Effective Dates: 10/22/84, 7/1/91, 10/5/98; 5/23/2008