(A) Authorized passengers:
(1) Pupils enrolled in approved programs who are eligible for transportation services authorized or required by state and federal law and school bus owner policy.
(2) Children attending an approved pre-school program authorized and directed by the board of education or county board of developmental disabilities.
(3) Resident pre-school children and parent(s) or guardian who are participating in school-sponsored special programs that require attendance of both. This includes parent and child participating in a graduation, reality, and dual-role skills (GRADS) or similar type program.
(4) School officials may authorize transportation of a school-age visitor to the home of a regular school bus passenger upon proper parental authorization on a space-available basis which does not displace regular riders.
(5) Resident pre-school children and school age pupils may be transported to pre-school programs and school-age child-care programs (for example, latchkey programs). These extra miles are not reimbursable. School age pupils may be counted for reimbursement only once if eligible for routine transportation (see rule 3301-83-01 of the Administrative Code).
(6) Resident pre-school special needs children are to be transported to school district pre-school special education programs within the district and outside the district if assigned by the school district of residence. If transportation is necessary for pre-school special needs children to receive a free and appropriate education it must be provided at no cost to the parent or guardian.
(7) School districts may enter into contractual agreements to provide transportation service for latchkey programs under the provisions of sections 3313.207, 3313.208, and 3313.209 of the Revised Code; and to provide transportation service for pre-school and day care programs under provisions of division (C) of section 3313.646 of the Revised Code.
(8) Ohio works first participants and the elderly may be transported under the provisions of paragraphs (H)(1) to (H)(5) of rule 3301-83-16 of the Administrative Code and according to policy and procedure of the school bus owner.
(9) School bus owners may establish a volunteer bus rider assistance program pursuant to section 3327.16 of the Revised Code. Qualified adults, including parents, or responsible older pupils may be authorized.
(B) Unauthorized passengers:
(1) Family members of school bus drivers who are not enrolled in any of the approved school programs, unless adults appointed as chaperons on non-routine trips.
(2) School employees, on routine bus routes, unless assigned by proper school officials as part of their duties.
(3) Adults not enrolled in any of the approved programs, unless assigned by proper school officials as bus monitors.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 05/08/2013 and 07/25/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3301.07; 4511.76
Rule Amplifies: 4511.76
Prior Effective Dates: 10-22-84; 7-1-91; 10-5-98; 10-1-04