(A) As used in this rule, the following definitions apply:
(1) " Behavioral support plan" means a written statement for a special needs child that is developed and implemented in accordance with paragraph (E) of rule 3301-51-02 of the Administrative Code.
(2) "Individualized habilitation plan" means a written plan of intervention and action that is developed on the basis of a comprehensive evaluation.
(3) "County board" means a county board of developmental disabilities.
(4) "Department" means Ohio department of education.
(B) The county board shall provide transportation services for children ages three to twenty-one eligible for transportation and enrolled in department-funded programs. The nature and extent of transportation services to be provided to each individual served shall be determined through the individualized education program or behavioral support plan process. The determination shall be reviewed annually.
(1) When it is determined through the individualized education program or behavioral support plan process that transportation other than that provided by the county board is an integral part of the education or habilitation of the individual, the county board shall provide reimbursement for transportation to the parent or guardian. Under these circumstances, written agreement between the county board and the parent or guardian shall be obtained prior to the provision of such transportation services. Documentation of this agreement shall be kept on file.
(2) Reimbursement of transportation costs paid to a parent or guardian may be approved as part of the transportation operating subsidy from the department with prior written agreement between the county board and the parent or guardian.
(C) The county board shall meet or exceed the insurance requirement for transportation vehicles and pupils as identified in Chapter 3327. of the Revised Code.
(D) A school bus driver shall have a current and valid "American Red Cross" first-aid certificate or equivalent first aid training.
(E) All new bus drivers, assistants, and substitutes shall attend, prior to their assignment to a bus with passengers on board, an orientation which includes a review of the vehicle operator's manual and a practical overview of the characteristics and needs of individuals to be transported.
(F) The county board shall adopt a policy and procedures that ensure assistance is provided to individuals while being transported on county board vehicles when the individualized education program or behavioral support plan indicates a need for such assistance.
(G) Individuals shall be picked up and returned to their residences unless other arrangements have been agreed upon by the county board program and the responsible parent or guardian.
(H) All pupil transportation provided for children ages three through twenty-one must comply with all pupil transportation rules as identified in Chapter 3301-83 of the Administrative Code and rule 3301-51-10 of the Administrative Code.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 05/08/2013 and 07/25/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3301.07; 4511.76
Rule Amplifies: 4511.76
Prior Effective Dates: 7-1-91; 10-5-98; 10-1-04