Chapter 3301-85 Purchase of School Buses
(A) General provisions.
(1) Payment to school districts for the purchase of school buses shall be based upon section 3317.07 of the Revised Code upon determination that pupils residing more than one mile from school could not be transported without such additional aid.
(3) All new buses purchased must meet or exceed all current federal and state minimum standards for construction and design of school buses.
(4) Funds may be used for lease/purchase programs for buses otherwise qualified in this rule.
(5) All school districts and county boards of mental retardation and developmental disabilities eligible to receive department of education funding shall be eligible to receive state support for the purchase of school buses pursuant to section 3317.07 of the Revised Code.
(6) Any school district or county board of MR/DD obtaining bus services for pupil transportation pursuant to a contract may use payments received under this rule to defray the costs of contracting for bus services in lieu of purchasing buses.
(B) Funding approval procedure for school buses needed to transport pupils with disabilities and nonpublic pupils.
(1) Calculations for this funding shall be based upon the number of nonpublic pupils and pupils with disabilities as reported by the agency on its T-1 report pursuant to rule 3301-83-01 of the Administrative Code.
(2) Only pupils who are transported on yellow school buses owned and operated by school districts or by school bus contractors shall be included in the calculation.
(4) The funding shall be calculated as a per student allocation based upon the funding appropriation and the number of eligible pupils.
(C) Rules pertaining to buses previously funded for transportation of nonpublic pupils or pupils with disabilities.
(1) School districts that enter into an agreement with a licensed school bus contractor to provide pupil transportation services and that sell the board-owned school buses pursuant to section 3313.41 of the Revised Code shall return one hundred per cent of the proceeds to the state of Ohio, Ohio department of education, or make the buses available without charge to other school districts. Vehicle assignment will be overseen by the Ohio department of education. The return of proceeds or use by other districts applies only when the bus was funded by the Ohio department of education.
(2) School districts that enter into an agreement with a licensed school bus contractor to provide pupil transportation services may lease the board-owned school buses to the contractor.
(3) Pursuant to section 3317.07 of the Revised Code, the Ohio department of education may reassign a bus funded under the previous version of this rule if it determines that the county MR/DD board or school district no longer needs the bus to transport pupils to a nonpublic school or special education program.
(4) Districts and county boards of MR/DD with buses funded under the previous version of this rule who continue to transport nonpublic or special education pupils to eligible programs may trade or sell outright any vehicle in excess of ten years of age. All proceeds of that trade or sale shall be retained by the district or county board of MR/DD.
(5) Districts and county boards of MR/DD with buses funded under the previous version of this rule who continue to transport nonpublic or special education pupils to eligible programs who wish to trade or sell any vehicle ten years of age or less shall make that bus available without charge to other school districts. Vehicle assignment will be overseen by the Ohio department of education.
(D) Funding for all other school buses required for transportation of eligible pupils shall be based on the following:
(3) An equity factor which shall consider valuation per pupil and median income for each school district.
119.032 review dates:
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3301.07, 3317.07, 4511.76
Rule Amplifies: 3317.07, 4511.76
Prior Effective Dates: 9/23/74, 1/1/78, 10/22/84, 7/1/89, 1/1/93, 8/1/94