(B) Any person may ascertain the time and place of all regularly scheduled meetings of the retirement board and the time, place, and purpose of all special meetings of the retirement board by:
(1) Writing to one of the following addresses:
"State Teachers Retirement System
275 East Broad Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215-3771"
(2) Calling the following telephone number during the normal business hours: (614) 227-4090 or, 888-227-7877, or
In addition, any person may request, in writing, advance notice of all regular meetings of the retirement board. The retirement system shall maintain a list of all persons who have requested such notice and shall no later than five calendar days prior to each meeting, send to such persons by first class mail or e-mail an agenda of the meeting.
(C) Any representative of the news media may obtain notice of all special meetings by requesting in writing that such notice be provided. Such notice will only be given, however, to one representative of any particular publication or radio or television station. A request for such notification shall be addressed to: "Executive Director, State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio, 275 East Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio 43215-3771."
The request shall provide the name of the individual media representative to be contacted, the mailing address and a maximum of two telephone numbers for contacting the requesting party. The retirement system shall maintain a list of all representatives of the news media who have requested notice of special meetings pursuant to paragraph (C) of this rule.
(D) In the event of a special meeting not of an emergency nature, the retirement system shall notify all media representatives on the list of such meeting by doing at least one of the following:
(1) Sending written notice, which must be mailed no later than four calendar days prior to the day of the special meeting;
(2) Sending notice by e-mail which must be sent no later than twenty-four hours prior to the time of the meeting;
(3) Notifying such representatives by telephone no later than twenty-four hours prior to the special meeting; such telephone notice shall be complete if a message has been left for the representative, or if, after reasonable effort, the retirement system has been unable to provide such telephone notice;
(4) Informing such representative personally no later than twenty-four hours prior to the special meeting.
(E) In the event of a special meeting of any emergency nature, the retirement system shall immediately notify all media representatives on the list of such meeting by providing either the notice described in paragraph (D)(1) or (D)(2) of this rule, or that described in paragraph (D)(3) or (D)(4) of this rule, or notifying the clerk of the state house press room. In such event, however, the notice need not be given twenty-four hours prior to the meeting, but shall be given as soon as possible.
(F) In giving the notices required by paragraph (C) of this rule the retirement system may rely on assistance provided by any member of the retirement system and such notice is complete if given by such member in the manner provided in paragraph (C) of this rule.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 03/17/2017 and 06/04/2022
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3307.04
Rule Amplifies: 121.22
Prior Effective Dates: 12/23/76, 12/26/81, 12/26/97, 7/1/01 (Emer.), 9/17/01, 7/18/03, 7/24/08, 6/2/13