(A) The retirement board authorizes health care assistance for certain benefit recipients who apply, qualify, and are approved for the health care assistance program.
(B) The following benefit recipients shall be eligible to apply annually for health care assistance under the health care assistance program on a form provided by the retirement system, if they are eligible for and enrolled in medicare, and if they meet the total household income requirements of paragraph (C) of this rule:
(1) A service retiree who qualifies for a subsidy and has twenty-five or more years of total service credit at retirement.
(2) A disability benefit recipient who qualifies for a subsidy.
(3) A survivor annuitant or survivor benefit recipient who was enrolled in the health care assistance program as of December 31, 2015, continues to meet all other health care assistance program requirements, and remains continuously enrolled in the health care assistance program.
(4) A survivor annuitant or survivor benefit recipient who is eligible for a subsidy and the deceased member or primary recipient had twenty-five or more years of total service credit.
(C) A benefit recipient's total household income shall not exceed the minimum salary for a teacher with a bachelor's degree and five years' experience as defined in section 3317.13 of the Revised Code or another amount determined by the retirement board for any of the amounts below:
(1) The benefit recipient's monthly benefit annualized at the time of the application for the health care assistance program;
(2) The total estimated household earnings and reportable earnings according to the Internal Revenue Code of all persons in the benefit recipient's household for the year coverage is being requested; and
(3) The combined total liquid assets for all persons within the benefit recipient's household, which includes cash and all monies readily available in savings accounts, checking accounts, money market accounts, trust funds, any publicly traded security or other investment vehicles as the board may from time to time specify.
(D) Applicants for the health care assistance program shall provide all information requested by the retirement system, including copies of any federal income tax return for the benefit recipient and each person in the benefit recipient's household to verify the income and assets reported on the application and, if applicable, verification of medicare enrollment.
(E) If the application for health care assistance is approved by the retirement system, health care assistance is provided through the end of the plan year. Health care coverage as determined by the retirement board through certain medical plans shall begin:
(1) January first of the following year for renewal applications received on or before December fifteenth of the current year; or
(2) The first day of the month following the date a new application is received for applications received on or before the fifteenth day of the month; or
(3) The first day of the second month from the date a new application is received for applications received after the fifteenth day of the month; or
(4) The later of the effective benefit date or the effective date established under paragraph (E)(2) or (E)(3) of this rule for "benefit recipients" who apply for the health care assistance program at the same time an application for service retirement benefits or disability benefits is filed with the retirement system.
(F) The health care assistance program may be changed or terminated by the retirement board at any time.
(G) Health care assistance under this rule provided as the result of false information submitted on an application shall be terminated immediately. Any person who submits false or misleading information in connection with an application for health care assistance shall immediately repay the amounts of any health care assistance provided to date. If such amounts remain unpaid, they shall be deducted from any future amounts payable under Chapter 3307. of the Revised Code. The retirement system may collect amounts due in any other manner the system considers appropriate, as provided by law.
Replaces: 3307: 1-11-11
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 06/10/2021
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3307.04
Rule Amplifies: 3307.39
Prior Effective Dates: 1/1/04 (Emer.), 3/22/04, 7/1/04 (Emer.), 8/26/04, 7/1/07 (Emer.), 9/24/07, 5/14/09, 6/12/2014, 12/10/2015