(A) The retirement board shall appoint an independent physician to serve as chair of the medical review board and as medical advisor to the retirement board. The chair so appointed shall:
(1) Request and review medical evidence from the applicant or applicant's attending physicians and other relevant sources regarding the nature, findings, extent, treatment, duration and functional limitations imposed by the conditions the applicant claims as disabling.
Any medical evidence or other information submitted by or on behalf of an applicant or recipient that is determined by the chair of the medical review board to not be objective or pertinent to the applicant's or recipient's claimed medical condition will not be considered, including duplicate records, internet articles or medical records not related to the current application or reexamination.
(2) Assign and oversee competent and impartial independent medical examiners to conduct the medical examinations and tests the chair deems necessary and appropriate to the evaluation of an application. Examinations will be assigned only for conditions listed on the application and supported as disabling by the attending physician. The independent medical examiners shall provide written reports of their findings and conclusions as to whether applicants are mentally or physically incapacitated from the performance of regular duties for a period of at least twelve months from the date the completed application was received.
(3) Review the reports of the independent medical examiners. Once the chair is satisfied that no further examinations or tests are needed, a recommendation shall be submitted to the retirement board if the chair concurs with the conclusions of the independent medical examiner or examiners that an applicant is or will be mentally or physically incapacitated from regular duties for a period of at least twelve months.
(4) If the chair reviews the conclusions of the independent medical examiners and concludes that an applicant is not incapacitated from the performance of regular duties or will not remain incapacitated for at least twelve months, the chair shall convene a panel of three or more members of the medical review board who shall review the application, medical evidence, and reports of the independent medical examiners. The panel may request medical evidence or obtain such further examinations and tests as it may deem necessary and appropriate and may direct delay of consideration of an application for treatment.
(5) Submit to the retirement board a report summarizing the conclusions and recommendations of the panels of the medical review board members.
(7) Recommend to the retirement board independent physicians from a wide range of medical expertise and specialties to serve as members of the medical review board.
(B) The retirement board shall designate independent physicians to serve as members of the medical review board.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 03/23/2016 and 06/10/2021
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3307.04
Rule Amplifies: 3307.48, 3307.62, 3307.63, 3307.631
Prior Effective Dates: 12/23/76, 12/26/77, 2/26/81, 7/3/97, 10/29/98 (Emer.), 1/17/99, 7/1/01 (Emer.), 9/27/01, 8/1/06, 6/6/11, 11/1/12, 1/7/13 (Emer.), 3/24/13