(A) For purposes of this rule:
(1) "Base allowance" means the benefit amount due a benefit recipient on the later of July 1, 1979 or the effective date of such benefit, as adjusted pursuant to this rule. A base allowance excludes subsequent allowances for cost-of-living pursuant to section 3309.374 of the Revised Code, reimbursements for medicare part "B" pursuant to section 3309.69 of the Revised Code, or additional annuity payments pursuant to section 3309.47 of the Revised Code.
(3) "Benefit amount" means the amount due a benefit recipient on the effective date of such benefit.
(4) "Benefit recipient" means an age and service retirant, disability benefit recipient, or a beneficiary as defined in section 3309.01 of the Revised Code, who is receiving monthly benefits due to the death of a member, age and service retirant or disability benefit recipient.
(B) A base allowance upon which a cost-of-living is calculated shall be adjusted when any of the following occur:
(1) The enactment of any statutory ad hoc allowance increase but only if such statutory authority provides that such increase become part of the base allowance.
(3) Recalculation of a benefit recipient's benefit amount after an audit.
(4) If a benefit recipient waives any portion of a benefit amount pursuant to section 3309.662 of the Revised Code, the base allowance shall be the portion being paid. If a waiver is revoked, the base allowance shall be the amount allowed under this rule.
(1) The recipient of any allowance, pension, or benefit that was effective before April 1, 2018 shall be eligible to receive an increase under section 3309.374 of the Revised Code upon receiving an allowance, pension, or benefit for twelve months.
(a) The recipient of any allowance, pension, or benefit that becomes effective on or after April 1, 2018 shall be eligible to receive an increase under section 3309.374 of the Revised Code upon attainment of the fourth anniversary of the allowance, pension, or benefit.
(b) For purposes of paragraph (C)(2)(a) of this rule, a recipient shall be credited with anniversaries for any previous allowance, pension, or benefit attributable to the same member account in the retirement system that occurred on or after January 1, 2018.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 2/1/2019
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3309.04
Rule Amplifies: 3309.374
Prior Effective Dates: 12/24/1976, 11/23/1979, 01/02/1993, 08/02/2002, 04/02/2010