(1) "Effective retirement benefit date" means the date upon which a retirement allowance begins.
(2) "Ohio retirement system" means the school employees retirement system, state teachers retirement system, public employees retirement system, Ohio police and fire pension fund, and state highway patrol retirement system.
(1) Forfeiture of a retirement allowance under section 3309.341 of the Revised Code for employment in a position covered by another Ohio retirement system shall apply only to a SERS retirant whose effective retirement benefit date is on or after September 1, 1991.
(2) A SERS retirant who has received a retirement allowance for less than two months and who becomes employed in a position covered by an Ohio retirement system shall forfeit such allowance for any month in which he is so employed during the two-month period after the effective benefit date.
The forfeited allowance shall be the retirement allowance payable under a plan described in division (B)(1) or (B)(3) of section 3309.46 of the Revised Code before any lump sum amount elected pursuant to division (B)(4) of section 3309.46 of the Revised Code.
(3) Notwithstanding paragraphs (B)(1) and (B)(2) of this rule, the forfeiture provision shall not apply to a SERS retirant who is employed in a position covered by an Ohio retirement system if the retirant was continuously employed in the position for at least two months prior to the effective retirement benefit date in this system.
(a) Where a member of this system who also has established membership in another Ohio retirement system or systems is terminating all employment covered by all systems, and is electing to take a retirement benefit from one or more of the other systems, as of the effective retirement benefit date, the member shall elect to:
(b) If as of the effective retirement benefit date from an Ohio retirement system the member has sufficient service credit to qualify for a benefit in this system, the effective retirement benefit date shall be the first of the month following the later of the benefit date in the Ohio retirement system or attainment of eligibility for a benefit in this system.
(a) A member of this system who also is a member of an Ohio retirement system and who has applied for a retirement benefit in the that system may continue employment in the position covered by this system, provided that contributions made to this system after the member's effective retirement benefit date in the Ohio retirement system shall accrue only a benefit as described in section 3309.344 of the Revised Code.
(b) If the member has been continuously employed in such position for at least two months prior to the effective retirement benefit date in the Ohio retirement system, the member may make an irrevocable election on a form provided by this system to have contributions to this system made prior to his effective retirement benefit date in the other system applied toward the same benefit described in section 3309.344 of the Revised Code. In the event this election is made, accrual of allowable interest shall not begin until after the effective retirement benefit date in the other system.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 05/28/2015 and 02/01/2019
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3309.04
Rule Amplifies: 3309.341, 3309.344, 3309.35
Prior Effective Dates: 1/2/93, 5/2/01, 5/14/05, 3/30/07