(A) A person, corporation, or other entity desiring to operate a career college or school in the state of Ohio, or an out-of-state school that solicits Ohio students, must obtain a certificate of registration from the board.
(1) Application for a certificate of registration or program authorization shall be made in writing to the board on forms furnished by the board.
(2) Each application for issuance and/or renewal of a certificate of registration shall be accompanied by a non-refundable fee, which is established by the board and which is based on the actual or expected gross annual tuition income of the applicant school.
(3) A certificate of registration shall be granted or denied by the board within one hundred twenty days after the school has been notified that the application has been satisfactorily completed, and arrangements are in process for an on-site visit.
(4) The certificate of registration is not transferable. The board shall assign registration numbers to all registered schools. A school shall display or disclose its registration number on all school publications and in all advertisements, including television commercials, bearing the name of the school. The school must prominently display the certificate of registration and hours of school operation where they may be inspected by students and representatives of the board.
(5) A certificate of registration is valid for a maximum of two years unless revoked for cause by the board, and is valid only for the institution and owner or operator for which it was approved.
(6) No new school may advertise, solicit students, or collect fees until a certificate of registration has been granted to it, nor may it advertise, solicit students, or collect fees for any program prior to the date of issuance of the certificate of registration and the appropriate program authorization.
(B) The board does not recognize branch campuses. Each location must submit a completed application for a certificate of registration. Each school or location is obligated to meet all the standards, rules, and regulations as set forth by the board. Schools that operate classes in multiple contiguous buildings may be treated as a single school campus at the discretion of the board.
(C) The board may issue certificates of registration to schools operating learning centers in accordance with rule 3332-1-26 of the Administrative Code.
(D) No franchised school shall be granted a certificate of registration without prior inspection and approval of the franchise agreement by the board. Such agreement shall contain a provision that the franchise shall not be terminated by reason of default until sufficient arrangements have first been made to assure the completion of the program(s) in which students are enrolled.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 12/24/2007 and 06/01/2013
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3332.031
Rule Amplifies: 3332.05
Prior Effective Dates: 12/1/70, 4/16/90, 7/12/90, 7/1/91, 10/14/94, 4/2/99, 6/1/05