(1) The Ohio board of regents ( the board), an advisory board to the chancellor appointed under section 3333.01 of the Revised Code, shall organize for the conduct of business at the regular November meeting each year, or the next regular meeting if no regular meeting is held in November, by electing from its membership a chairperson, vice chairperson, and secretary. The board may also elect additional officers from time to time, as are deemed necessary and appropriate.
(2) The chairperson, vice chairperson, and secretary shall be elected for a term of two years. Additional officers shall be elected for a term determined by the board at the time of their election.
(3) Newly appointed members before entering on official duties and after qualifying for office, shall take and subscribe to an oath of office, to uphold the constitution and laws of the United States and this state, and to perform the duties of office honestly, faithfully and impartially.
(4) The headquarters of the board shall be located in Columbus, Ohio.
(1) Meetings of the board shall be held on a regular basis with the board meeting at least four times annually and as the board may otherwise determine from time to time. Additional meetings may be fixed by action of the board or upon call by the chairperson. Public notice of meetings shall be given in accordance with rule 3333-1-14 of the Administrative Code.
(2) Members shall be given at least one month's advance notice of regular meetings.
(3) Meetings of the board may be held at any location in the state.
(4) Official business of the board shall be transacted only in meetings open to the public, except as executive sessions may be called for consideration of matters specified in division (G) of section 121.22 of the Revised Code.
(5) Members shall be given advance notice of the agenda of each meeting by the chairperson, chancellor, or chancellor's designee.
(6) A majority of the entire membership of the board shall constitute a quorum, and official business shall be transacted only when a quorum is present. Pursuant to section 3333.02 of the Revised Code, the formation of a quorum and the taking of votes at meetings conducted by interactive video teleconference is permitted if provisions are made for public attendance at any location involved in such a teleconference.
(7) Members are expected to attend all meetings of the board. Pursuant to section 3.17 of the Revised Code, any member who fails to attend three-fifths of the regular and special meetings held by the board during any two-year period forfeits the member's position on the board.
(8) Except as otherwise provided by rule, law, or other action of the board, all proceedings of the board shall be governed by parliamentary rules as set forth in "Robert's Rules of Order," which can be accessed at http://www.robertsrules.com/.
(C) Order of business
The order of business for regular meetings of the board shall be at the discretion of the chairperson, but shall generally include the following:
(1) Call to order;
(2) Roll call;
(4) Approval of the minutes
(5) New business/old business
(6) Report of the chancellor;
The order of business for special meetings shall be established by the chairperson.
The board shall keep an official set of minutes of all official business transacted by the board and these minutes shall be open for public inspection. These minutes shall be authenticated by the chairperson and secretary after approval by the board. Each member shall receive a copy of the minutes.
(1) The board may authorize such standing or special committees as it may deem desirable from time to time. The chairperson shall designate the members of such committees.
(2) Any standing or special committee appointed by the board may seek advice and counsel from members of the public with respect to the issues or subject matter being addressed by such committees.
The board shall also publish an annual report on the condition of higher education. The board may divide the report into parts, one reflecting the board's findings regarding the topic selected for review, and one reflecting the annual evaluation of the chancellor as required by law.
(G) Compensation and expenses
All members shall serve without compensation; however, all members shall be reimbursed for necessary expenses incurred in the conduct of board business according to state procedures.
These rules may be amended at any time by majority vote of the entire membership of the board.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 3333-1-01
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 03/18/2014 and 07/15/2019
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3333.02
Rule Amplifies: 3333.02
Prior Effective Dates: 1/6/76, 12/1/78, 1/18/83, 8/18/88, 2/3/00, 1/12/2001, 8/10/2006