(1) The Ohio board of regents (OBR) shall organize for the conduct of business at the regular November meeting each year, or the next regular meeting if no regular meeting is held in November, by electing from its membership a chairman, vice chairman and secretary. The board may also elect additional officers from time to time, as are deemed necessary and appropriate, who may or may not be members of the board.
(2) The board of regents shall appoint a chancellor as its chief executive officer. The chancellor shall serve at the pleasure of the board. The duties of the chancellor shall be prescribed by resolution of the board. The chancellor shall appoint members of the administrative staff, to comply with section 3333.03 of the Revised Code.
(3) The headquarters of the board shall be located in Columbus, Ohio.
(1) Meetings of the Ohio board of regents shall be held on a regular basis with the board meeting at least four times annually and as the board may otherwise determine from time to time. Additional meetings may be fixed by action of the board or upon call by the chairman. Public notice of meetings shall be given in accordance with rule 3333-1-14 of the Administrative Code.
(2) Members shall be given at least one month's advance notice of regular meetings.
(3) Meetings of the board may be held at any location in the state.
(4) Official business of the board shall be transacted only in meetings open to the public, except as executive sessions may be called for consideration of matters specified in division (G) of section 121.22 of the Revised Code.
(5) Members shall be given advance notice of the agenda of each meeting by the secretary or the chancellor.
(6) A majority of the entire membership of the board shall constitute a quorum, and official business shall be transacted only when a quorum is present.
(7) Except as otherwise provided by rule or other action of the board, all proceedings of the board shall be governed by parliamentary rules as set forth in "Robert's Rules of Order."
(C) Order of business
The order of business for regular meetings of the board shall be at the discretion of the chairman, but shall generally include the following:
(1) Call to order;
(2) Roll call;
(3) Certification of conformity with division (F) of section 121.22 of the Revised Code;
(4) Committee reports - including a summary of items agreed to by a majority vote of the committee, and items recommended for full board approval;
(6) Report of the chancellor;
(7) Consideration of new and amended administrative rules, distributions and releases of appropriated funds, certificates of authorization, new degrees and degree programs, controlling board requests, personnel actions, and other such items;
The order of business for special meetings shall be established by the chairman.
The board shall keep an official set of minutes of all official business transacted by the board. These minutes shall be authenticated by the chairman and secretary after approval by the board. Each member shall receive a copy of the minutes.
(1) The board may authorize such standing or special committees as it may deem desirable from time to time. The chairman shall designate the members of such committees.
(2) The board may authorize the appointment of advisory committees from time to time. Such advisory committees will normally report to the board through the chancellor.
The board shall also publish a master plan as required by law to be prepared by it, and may publish such other studies or reports from time to time as it may deem desirable. All published reports shall be made available to the governor and the general assembly, and to the general public via the OBR website.
(G) Compensation and expenses
(1) All members shall be reimbursed for necessary expenses incurred in the conduct of board business.
(2) The board shall adopt a budget annually in accordance with the state appropriations and other income received by the board. Said budget shall constitute authorization to the chancellor to incur obligations in accordance therewith.
(3) The compensation of all staff members who serve under the chancellor shall be determined by the chancellor.
(4) Staff members shall be paid travel expenses in accordance with the financial regulations of the state.
(5) All vouchers in payment of obligations of the board shall be signed by the chancellor or by the designated finance officer of the board.
These rules may be amended at any time by majority vote of the entire membership of the board.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 05/10/2006 and 08/10/2011
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3333.02 , 3333.04
Rule Amplifies: 3333.02 , 3333.04
Prior Effective Dates: 1-12-01