Under the terms of Section 3333.04 , the Ohio Board of Regents is authorized to: (N) Approve or disapprove all new degrees and new degree programs at all state colleges, universities, and other state-assisted institutions of higher education;"
(1) A "new degree" means any new recognition or award for completion of a prescribed course of study in an institution of higher education evidenced by a diploma or certificate and designated by the customary form of Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctoral degree, other than a doctoral degree for graduate study beyond the baccalaureate, but including such degrees as Doctor of Medicine, Doctor of Dental Surgery, and Doctor of Jurisprudence.
(2) A "new degree program" means any prescribed course of study in an institution of higher education which constitutes an area of specialization or concentration leading to a recognized degree which was not in effect as of September 20, 1963, and which has not previously been approved by the Ohio Board of Regents.
(3) A "state-assisted institution of higher education" means any college or university receiving an appropriation subsidy for current operation of its instructional activity from an appropriation bill duly enacted into law by the State of Ohio.
(C) PROCEDURE FOR CONSIDERATION
(1) Any state-assisted institution of higher education desiring to introduce a new degree or new degree program shall discuss such plan with the staff of the Ohio Board of Regents. Such discussions should be undertaken approximately six months prior to formal application. A preliminary document should be prepared and indicate the reasons for the new degree or new degree program, an estimate of the number of students expected to enroll, and the availability of other such programs within a thirty-mile radius. The Board of Regents' staff will make available to the college or university such information as they may have to assist in better evaluating this preliminary planning for a new degree or new degree program.
The new degree or new degree program shall be presented to the Ohio Board of Regents for approval or disapproval after all required internal clearances or approvals have been provided, including approval by the Board of Trustees or Board of Directors of the institution.
(2) The proposal for a new degree or new degree program shall be presented to the Chancellor of the Ohio Board of Regents in ten (10) copies. The proposal will provide the necessary information as outlined below.
(3) The proposal will be reviewed by the staff of the Board of Regents. If it is deemed desirable to do so, the Chancellor may refer the request to an advisory committee of the Board for evaluation in terms of need and in terms of standards of desired performance. Or the proposal may be referred by the Chancellor to a consultant for evaluation in terms of need and in terms of standards of desired performance.
(4) The Chancellor shall present a recommendation to the Board for approval or disapproval of each proposed new degree or each proposed new degree program received by the Board. The interested institution shall be given an opportunity to present a statement of position on the matter at the same time.
(5) The Ohio Board of Regents will vote approval or disapproval of each new degree request or each new degree program request at an official and regularly scheduled meeting of the Board.
(D) INFORMATION NEEDED
Each proposal for a new degree or new degree program shall provide the following information:
(1) Designation of the new degree or new degree program, with a brief description of its purpose.
(2) Description of proposed curriculum.
(3) Administrative arrangements for program: department and school or college involved.
(4) Evidence of need for new degree or new degree program.
(5) Prospective enrollment.
(6) Faculty and facilities available for program and their adequacy.
(7) Needs for additional facilities and staff and plans for meeting these needs.
(8) Projected financial needs to support program and adequacy of expected subsidy and other income to meet these needs.
(9) Information about use of consultants or advisory committees in development of degree proposal or degree program proposal, with copies of reports from such consultants or advisory committees.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 07/19/2005 and 07/19/2010
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3333.04
Rule Amplifies: n/a
Prior Effective Dates: 11/16/79