(A) The chair of each department and the director of each school shall be the administrative head, respectively, of the department or school. The department chair and the director of a school perform a dual function. In addition to being the administrative head of the department or school, the chair or director represents the faculty of the department or school in dealing with the dean or others in the university administration. Upon the nomination of the president or his or her designee, the board of trustees shall appoint each chair and director for a term of four years subject to the annual review provisions of the office of academic affairs. A chair or director shall be eligible for reappointment. In selecting a chair or director, the president or his or her designee shall confer with the dean of the college involved. The dean, in turn, will consult with the faculty of the department or school on all campuses, as well as other appropriate university officials. The president or his or her designee shall give substantial weight to faculty recommendations in reaching a decision regarding a nomination or recommendation for reappointment. Department chairs and directors of schools report to the deans of their colleges.
(B) The president or his or her designee may remove a chair or director during a four-year term after consultation with the voting faculty and dean of the unit involved. The views of the faculty shall be given substantial weight in arriving at any decision to remove a chair or director from office.
(C) The duties of the chair of a department or the director of a school shall be as follows:
(1) To have general administrative responsibility for its program, subject to the approval of the dean of the college.
(2) To develop in consultation with the faculty a pattern of administration. This pattern of administration shall be made available to all present and prospective members of the faculty of the department or school, and a copy shall be deposited in the office of the dean of the college and in the office of the executive vice president and provost.
For purposes of defining minimum content, the following shall be included in the pattern of administration:
(a) A statement requiring the chair to provide a schedule of all regular faculty meetings (see rule 3335-5-18 of the Administrative Code) to all faculty members before the start of each semester, summer term, or session.
(b) A statement requiring the chair to maintain minutes of all faculty meetings and to maintain records of all other actions covered by the pattern of administration.
(c) A statement that the chair will consult with the faculty as a whole on all policy matters, and that such consideration will, whenever practicable, be undertaken at a meeting of the faculty as a whole.
(d) A statement recognizing in principle the presumption favoring majority faculty rule on all matters covered by the pattern of administration. This statement shall further provide that whenever majority faculty rule is not followed, the department or faculty chair, or school director, or dean and director of a regional campus, whichever is the case, shall explain the reasons for the departure to enhance communication and to facilitate understanding within the department. Where possible, this statement of reasons shall be provided before the departure occurs. This explanation shall outline the decision of the majority of the faculty, the decision of the department or faculty chair, or school director, or dean and director of the regional campus, whichever is the case, and the reasons the decisions differ. The explanation shall be communicated to the faculty in writing, where possible, or at a faculty meeting, with an opportunity provided for faculty to comment.
(e) A statement affirming that the faculty shall be consulted in the initiation and in the review and selection of new faculty members for appointment.
(f) A statement explaining how faculty duties and responsibilities in instruction, scholarship, and service are to be assigned and distributed equitably.
(3) To prepare, after consultation with the faculty and in accordance with the pattern of departmental administration, a statement setting forth the criteria and procedures according to which recommendations are made concerning appointments and/or dismissals, salary adjustments, promotions in rank, and matters affecting the reappointment and tenure of the faculty. This statement shall be made available to all present and prospective members of the department or school, and a copy shall be deposited in the office of the dean of the college and in the office of the executive vice president and provost. At the beginning of each four-year term of the chair of a department or the director of a school, the members of the department or school, the office of the dean of the college, and the office of the executive vice president and provost shall receive either a revision or reaffirmation of the original statement
(4) To operate the business of the department or school with efficiency and dispatch.
(5) To plan with the members of the faculty and the dean of the college a progressive program.
(6) To evaluate continuously the instructional and administrative processes and lead in the study of methods of improving them.
(7) To evaluate faculty members periodically in accordance with criteria approved by the board of trustees and subject to instructions from the executive vice president and provost, and also according to such supplemental criteria as may be set up by the department or school.
(8) To inform faculty members when they receive their annual review of their right to review their primary personnel file maintained by their tenure initiating unit and to place in that file a response to any evaluation, comment or other material contained in the file.
(9) To recommend to the dean of the college, after consultation with the faculty in accordance with paragraph (C)(3) of this rule, appointments, promotions, dismissals, and matters affecting the reappointment and tenure of members of the department or school faculty.
(10) To encourage research and educational investigations.
(11) To see that all faculty, regardless of their assigned location, are offered the departmental privileges and responsibilities appropriate to their rank; and in general to lead in maintaining a high level of morale.
(12) To see that adequate supervision and training are given to those members of the faculty and staff who may profit by such assistance.
(13) To prepare (after consultation with the professors, associate professors, and assistant professors with tenure) annual budget recommendations for the consideration of the dean of the college.
(14) To promote improvement of instruction by providing for the evaluation of each course when offered, including written evaluation by students of the course and instructors, and periodic course review by the faculty.
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3335
Rule Amplifies: 3335.08
Prior Effective Dates: 03/13/1978, 03/17/1980, 06/10/1983, 06/16/1986, 07/03/1986, 10/25/1987, 02/14/1991, 06/21/1993, 06/15/1996, 03/26/1998, 06/15/1998, 09/01/2001, 06/27/2005, 06/30/2012, 6/30/2014