The steering committee shall consist of fourteen members.
(1) Six faculty.
(2) Four students.
(a) The president of the council of graduate students. The vice president of the council of graduate students may attend steering committee meetings with full voting privileges if the president cannot attend.
(b) The president of the inter-professional council. The vice president of the inter-professional council may attend steering committee meetings with full voting privileges if the president cannot attend.
(c) Two undergraduate students, one of whom is the president of the undergraduate student government. The vice president of the undergraduate student government may attend steering committee meetings with full voting privileges if either student cannot attend.
(3) Four administrators.
(a) The executive vice president and provost.
(b) The senior vice president for business and finance.
(c) The secretary of the university senate (non-voting).
(d) A dean.
(B) Duties and responsibilities.
(1) Be the senate's committee on committees: the steering committee shall have the power to call, by vote of nine of its members, a special meeting of the senate, and shall have such power and duties as the senate may delegate to it during periods when the senate is not in session. It may create subcommittees and may delegate to them any of its powers, functions, and duties.
(2) Review the structure, operation, and effectiveness of the senate and its committees. It shall receive suggestions, review proposed rule changes, and initiate recommendations for change in the structure and operation of the senate, including structure, duties, and responsibilities of senate committees, without, however, in any way restricting the senate's authority to alter its operations by other means. The steering committee may also review other proposed rule changes prior to presentation to the senate.
(3) Serve as a channel of communication between the senate and the president and the board of trustees. Members shall be an advisory group available to both the president and the board of trustees for advice and counsel on any matter relating to the operation and development of the university. After consulting with the president, the members of the steering committee may request and obtain a meeting with the board of trustees.
(4) Meet at least once every year with the chair of each standing committee.
(1) For the period of time beginning with the election of steering committee members in spring semester and ending with the start of the autumn semester, the steering committee shall include its newly elected members as non-voting members.
(2) The committee shall annually elect a chair from its regular faculty membership.
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3335
Rule Amplifies: 3335.08
Prior Effective Dates: 3/13/1978, 8/8/1978, 1/28/1980, 3/17/1980, 4/20/1981, 2/6/1983, 4/29/1985, 12/15/1985, 4/27/1986, 6/16/1986, 8/18/1986, 3/5/1988, 4/29/1989, 2/14/1991, 1/27/1995, 7/11/1996, 3/26/1998, 5/23/1999, 10/18/1999, 7/1/2005, 6/30/12