Chapter 3339-18 Motor Vehicle Regulations
(A) Permit required.
A permit is required at all times to park in a university parking lot or on a university drive, except as noted in these regulations. No permit is required for daytime parking in the garages or at parking meters; fees for facility use must be paid. A permit is required to park on city streets that run through or adjoin campus from seven a.m. to four p.m., Monday through Friday. At other times a permit is not required to park on city streets that run through or adjoin campus.
(B) Permit eligibility.
First-year students are not permitted to bring a car to campus without expressed university authorization (exceptions listed in the student handbook). Sophomores, juniors, and seniors are permitted to bring a car, but are required to register the vehicle with the university and obtain a parking permit.
(C) Duration of permits
(1) Annual permits:
(a) Student permits. Valid from the first day of class in the fall semester through Monday following May commencement.
(b) Faculty, staff and graduate assistant permits. Valid from July first through June thirtieth each year.
(2) Fall semester permit. Valid from the first day of the fall semester through the first day of the spring semester.
(3) Spring semester permit. Valid from the first day after final examination week of the fall semester to the Monday following May commencement.
(4) Summer term permit: From the Monday following May commencement to the first day of the fall semester.
(5) One-week temporary permit. Minimum of seven calendar days from date of issue.
(6) One-day temporary permi. Expires at eleven fifty-nine p.m. on the date of issue.
An individual registering a vehicle is responsible for all citations issued to that vehicle regardless of ownership. Individuals who lend their vehicles to others are responsible for any parking fines incurred.
(1) Unregistered vehicle/no permit displayed. Fine thirty-five dollars.
Failing to display or improperly displaying a valid university parking permit. A permit is required to park in university parking areas. All information on the permit must be visible from outside the vehicle. Decal permits must be permanently affixed to the inside surface of either windshield at the lower corner of the driver's side. Hangtag permits must be displayed on the rearview mirror inside the vehicle. Card permits must be displayed inside the front windshield. Unregistered vehicle/no permit displayed is a registration violation.
(2) Restricted area. Fine seventy-five dollars.
Parking in areas beyond the privileges granted by your permit or parking in violation of posted event parking restrictions. Between seven a.m. and six p.m. on weekdays, vehicles must park only in the areas specified by their permit. University events sometimes require the exclusive use of parking areas. These areas will be posted at least seventy-two hours in advance of the event. Cars parked in these areas after the time specified will be cited. All cars must be removed from all sections of the Millett parking lot on the dates of all home football games. Restricted area is a registration violation.
(3) Reproduction or illegal use of permit: Fine three hundred dollars.
(a) Any of the following is a violation:
(i) Reproduction of a permit
(ii) Altering a permit
(iii) Displaying a permit that has been revoked
(iv) Displaying a permit reported lost or stolen
(v) Transferring a student permit to another vehicle without authorization
(vi) Displaying a permit issued to or designated for issue to a visitor, faculty or staff member, or graduate assistant
(b) Reproduction or illegal use of permit is a registration violation.
(4) Overtime at meter. Fine ten dollars
Parking at a meter that indicates time has expired or failure to pay for time parked in a space or facility requiring a fee is an overtime parking violation. Vehicles may park in spaces controlled by meters when the meter display indicates time remaining. No parking permit is required. Unless otherwise posted, meter fees must be paid when parking between the hours of seven a.m. and ten p.m., seven days a week, except when the university is officially closed. This applies only to parking meter fees; all other parking and permit restrictions are in effect at all times.
University parking facilities that require a fee for use by the hour or by the event require payment at all times. Failure to pay for time parked in a facility that requires a fee is a violation.
Overtime at meter is a parking violation.
(5) Overtime in a timed zone. Fine ten dollars
Exceeding time limits as posted.
Overtime in a timed zone is a parking violation.
(6) Outside designated space. Fine seventy-five dollars.
More than one vehicle in one designated space, parking in two or more spaces, or creating a space where none exists.
Outside designated space is a parking violation.
(7) Parking in loading zone/service drive. Fine seventy-five dollars.
Parking in loading or service areas where signs prohibit parking.
Parking in loading zone/service drive is a parking violation.
(8) Prohibited/yellow zone: Fine seventy-five dollars.
(a) Parking or standing in a posted "no parking" or "yellow" area.
(b) No parking is permitted on alternate sides of oak and maple streets between two a.m. and six a.m. as posted.
(c) No parking is permitted in the campus avenue or north campus parking garages between two a.m. and six a.m.
Prohibited/yellow zone is a parking violation.
(9) Parking on sidewalk or grass. Fine seventy-five dollars.
Parking on sidewalk or grass is a parking violation.
(10) Handicap parking violation. Fine two hundred fifty follars
A vehicle parked within a marked disability parking space must display a valid state-issued disability placard and a Miami university parking permit when parked on campus.
Failure to display a valid state-issued disability placard is a parking violation.
(11) Immobilization/impoundment: Fine two hundred dollars
A vehicle may be immobilized/impounded under these conditions:
(a) Any combination of five violations beginning July first each year even if all fines have been paid, and the vehicle is parked in violation at time of immobilization.
(b) Any combination of five violations beginning July first each year and the fines are unpaid, even if the vehicle is not in violation at the time of the immobilization.
(c) A violation of reproduction or illegal use of permit and parked in violation at time of immobilization.
(d) Unauthorized removal or damage of an immobilization device. The car is subject to immobilization or impoundment until the device is accounted for or recovered.
This immobilization/impoundment fine must be paid by check made payable to Miami university or credit card prior to the release of the vehicle. This fee cannot be charged to a student's bursar account or payroll deducted.
Students may be referred to the office of ethics and student conflict resolution and faculty and staff members may be referred to the appropriate personnel office for repeated violations.
(12) Multiple violations
(a) A vehicle may receive a registration violation and a parking violation in the same instance.
(b) Vehicles that remain parked in violation at the same location for more than three hours after being cited may be cited again.
(c) Vehicles moved to another location after being cited may be cited immediately if parked in violation.
(13) Warning citation
Parking enforcement staff may issue one warning citation for a registration violation per license plate per year (July first - June thirtieth). Warning citations will not be counted toward citation totals for immobilization. A warning will not be issued for the following violations:
(a) Reproduction or illegal use of a permit
(c) Special events
(14) Payment of fines
Fines may be paid by
(a) A charge through the bursar- other than fines for immobilization/impoundment,
(b) Check made payable to Miami university -include the citation number on the check to ensure proper credit,
(c) Valid credit card.
Payment may be sent to Miami university, office of parking and transportation services, MSC 1094, 301 south campus avenue, campus avenue building, room 128, Oxford, Ohio, 45056.
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3339.01
Rule Amplifies: 3339.01
Prior Effective Dates: 9/30/1999, 9/30/2000, 9/30/2001, 10/31/2002, 10/30/2003, 3/21/2005, 10/31/2006, 10/17/2007, 8/20/2008, 11/14/2009, 9/17/2010, 10/14/2011, 9/13/2012, 9/12/2013
Students, faculty, and staff must display current parking permits on their vehicles when parking on any of Miami university's campuses. Short-term temporary permits are available at the office of business services at both regional campuses.
These regulations are in effect at all times. All vehicles must be registered by the end of the first week of classes.
(A) Requirements of permit holders.
(1) An applicant for a permit must present a valid operator's license at the time an application is filed. These permits will authorize holders to park in student areas on both regional campuses. All students are required to park in legal spaces. Regional campus students attempting to earn an equal or greater number of credit hours on the Oxford campus during any semester must purchase a parking permit for the Oxford campus.
(2) Student permit holders are issued hangtags that must be displayed from the inside rearview mirror. Hangtag permits are transferable to all vehicles owned by the permit holder. Faculty/staff permit holders are issued decals or hangtags that must be properly affixed to the vehicle. Decal permits must be permanently affixed to the inside surface of either windshield at the lower corner of the driver's side. Hangtag permits must be displayed on the rearview mirror inside the vehicle. Hangtag permits are transferable to all vehicles owned by the permit holder. Card permits must be displayed inside the front windshield.
(3) Only one permit per person is issued on the regional campuses. There is a ten dollar replacement fee for lost or stolen permits.
(B) General parking information.
(1) The regional campuses have areas designated for faculty/staff, student, visitor, and the handicapped. These areas are clearly marked by signs. Vehicles shall park in designated areas consistent with permit restrictions. Parking outside permitted areas is a violation and is subject to a fine.
(2) Parking on the Oxford campus. Vehicles that display the yellow muh/mum permit issued by the regional campuses must be parked in compliance with this regulation. On the Oxford campus vehicles that display the yellow MUH/MUM permit must park in west Millet or Ditmer lot from seven a.m. to four p.m. Monday through Friday and may park in other campus lots after restricted hour as posted. Faculty, staff, and students who work or attend classes on any campus are not considered visitors to the Oxford, Hamilton, or Middletown campuses.
(C) Regional campuses violations.
(1) All permits are issued with the understanding that permit holders will abide by the motor vehicle regulations of the university. The following is a list of violations and respective fines:
(a) Unregistered vehicle. Fine: ten dollars.
(b) Failure to display valid permit. Fine: ten dollars.
(c) Illegal parking in restricted area or on the grass. Fine: ten dollars.
(d) Blocking any access road. Fine: fifteen dollars.
(e) Parking in handicapped zone. Fine: seventy-five dollars.
(f) Exceeding twenty mph speed limit. Fine: thirty dollars.
(g) Hazardous operation. Fine: seventy-five dollars.
(h) Disregarding traffic control device. Fine: fifteen dollars.
(2) Repeated violations may subject the offender to immobilization of the vehicle and the loss of parking privileges on the campuses of Miami university. Fines must be paid within three working days of the issuance of the citation. All fines must be paid prior to release of an immobilized vehicle. Miami Hamilton-pay at the cashier's office in one hundred two Mosler hall. Miami Middletown-pay at the cashier's office in one hundred fourteen Johnston hall.
Citations or penalties must be appealed in writing to the office of business services on the appropriate regional campus within three working days of the citation for consideration by the parking appeals board. All decisions of the parking appeals board are final.
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3339.01
Rule Amplifies: 3339.01
Prior Effective Dates: 7/6/90, 9/30/01, 9/30/03, 3/21/05, 10/31/06, 10/17/07, 8/20/08, 9/17/10, 9/13/12, 9/12/13