(A) Policy statement and purpose
The purpose is to articulate how student organizations invite guest speakers to campus including stating that the speaker, nor their speech, are not representing the views of the university.
It is the policy of the university to foster a spirit of free inquiry and to encourage the timely discussion of a broad range of issues provided that the views expressed are stated openly and are subject to critical evaluation. Within our prevailing standards of decency and honesty, this policy shall be construed to mean that no topic or issue is too controversial for intelligent discussion on the campus. Restraints on free inquiry should be held to that minimum which is consistent with preserving an organized society in which change is accomplished by peaceful, democratic means.
To this end, a registered student organization may invite guest speakers to the campus subject only to the following provisions:
(1) Space for the event must be registered with the Bowen-Thompson student union
conference and event services office if university facilities and services are to be used, and the event will need to be registered with the office of campus activities. Individuals or registered student organizations interested in planning an all-campus event are urged to contact the office of campus activities and the student organization advisor for assistance in making these arrangements.
(2) Sponsorship must be by a registered student organization.
(3) It must be made clear that the student organization, not the university, is extending the invitation and that any views the speaker may express are his or her own and not those of the university.
(4) The student organization must take whatever steps are necessary to ensure that the event is conducted in an orderly manner. The office of campus activities is available to advise on planning major events.
(5) The student organization is encouraged to provide means for critical evaluation of the speaker's view which might include an open question period following the speaker's presentation.
(6) Guest speakers must also comply with the university's policy concerning political campaigning.
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3345
Rule Amplifies: 3345
Prior Effective Dates: 3/12/2015