(A) Policy statement and purpose
The purpose of the policy is to articulate the rules governing alcohol on campus and to serve as a guide for the university community. Bowling Green state university recognizes that the decision to use alcoholic beverages is a personal choice; however, this choice must be made in accordance with the laws of the state of Ohio. In addition, the mature and responsible consumption of alcohol must be consistent with the mission and core values of the university and in accordance with the Bowling Green state university code of student conduct.
Procedures for events where alcohol is present
(1) All laws of the state of Ohio, ordinances of the city of Bowling Green (Erie county for Firelands), regulations of the Ohio department of liquor control, and policies and regulations of Bowling Green state university apply. Alcoholic beverages may be consumed, possessed, served, or sold only by persons of legal age to do so, according to the laws of the state of Ohio.
(2) Alcohol consumption shall not be the focus of any event unless that event is focused on education and awareness and approved in advance by BGSU dining and the dean of students (dean of Firelands).
(3) Alcoholic beverages must be served by designated and trained individuals.
Participants may not serve themselves or each other. Servers may not consume alcohol while working at an event. Arrangements for the sale and/or serving of alcoholic beverages must be made through BGSU dining or other approved campus providers (budget and operations office on the Firelands campus). Where required by law, a permit required by the state of Ohio shall be obtained prior to the event.
(4) Alcohol service must comply with all BGSU contractual obligations.
(5) Non-alcoholic beverages must be present at all events at all times.
(6) Event sponsors will provide solid food in order to moderate the effects of alcohol consumption and will continue to have food available as long as alcohol is being served. Food and quantities must be determined and approved by BGSU dining or other approved campus catering service provider for all on campus events.
(7) The entry or exit of persons with alcoholic beverages at events where alcohol is served is not permitted.
(8) No social event shall include any form of "drinking contest" in its activities or promotion.
(9) Alcohol serving cease at least one hour before the end of all student sponsored events.
(10) Publicly distributed materials, including advertisements for any university event, shall not make reference to the availability of alcoholic beverages. The Black Swamp pub, located in the Bowen-Thompson student union, is exempt from this policy.
(11) Alcohol can only be served at locations specified on the liquor license at the time of the event. For a complete listing of current approved locations, contact BGSU dining. Alcohol on the Firelands campus is served by a licensed, third-party vendor as allowed by their license.
(12) Requests to have alcohol served at an event at the BGSU Firelands campus must receive prior approval from the dean of BGSU Firelands.
(13) Violations of these regulations related to the use and sale of alcoholic beverages will result in immediate termination of the event and referral to the appropriate agency for conduct action.
(14) All student sponsored events where alcohol will be served may require police police officers be present at all times, paid for by the sponsoring group. The required number of officers present will be determined by the university police department in consultation with the office of campus activities (budget and operations office at Firelands).
(15) The sponsor of the event assumes the responsibility of monitoring the event and the behavior of those attending the event.
(16) Inspection of events where alcohol is being served may occur by an appointed designee of the office of the dean of students and/or the university police (dean's office at Firelands).
(17) This policy must be applied consistent with the university food service policy.
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3345
Rule Amplifies: 3345
Prior Effective Dates: 03/17/2015, 08/12/2015, 05/28/2019