(A) Policy statement and purpose
Bowling Green state university recognizes that students, faculty, and staff use a variety of means of transportation on campus. Although personal choice is important, the university must consider the safety and well-being of the campus community and visitors, as well as the preservation of university property. In an effort to balance the concern for safety with the use of various modes of transportation on campus, the university has issued this policy regarding the use of bicycles, and other personal conveyance vehicles on campus.
(B) Policy definitions
Personal conveyance vehicles
Vehicles powered by the individual rider, by motor, or by batteries that may be operated on sidewalks. These include, but are not limited to, bicycles, motor scooters, mopeds, segways, roller blades/skates, skateboards, motorized skateboards, and self-balancing scooters (hoverboards), and other similar-wheeled devices.
Buildings, grounds, and land that are owned by Bowling Green state university, or controlled by Bowling Green state university via lease or other contractual agreement.
(C) Policy scope
(1) This policy applies to all use of such vehicles in and on university property.
(2) This policy does not apply to:
(a) Wheelchairs and other personal mobility devices as defined by the ADA.
(b) Personal conveyance vehicles operated by the BGSU police or Bowling Green city police.
(c) Specifically approved or university sanctioned events involving personal conveyance vehicles.
The following requirements govern the use of personal conveyance vehicles on university property.
(1) Bicycles, skateboards, and other personal conveyance vehicles shall not be ridden in the following locations:
(a) Within any university building.
(b) On any ramp established for the use of persons with disabilities.
(c) On any stairs, stairways, landings, loading docks, handrails, or other raised surfaces such as ledges and parking curbs.
(d) On university structures, including but not limited to benches, column bases, walls, artwork, and sculptures.
(2) Riders shall operate at a safe speed, and yield to pedestrians at all times. Reckless or negligent operation of personal conveyance vehicles is prohibited.
(3) Personal conveyance vehicles outside of buildings must be parked in a manner which does not obstruct any sidewalk, street, path, or other routes of pedestrian or vehicle traffic.
(4) Bicycles should be parked in provided bike racks or designated parking areas for bikes, and should not be parked on lawns or sidewalks. Bicycles and other personal conveyance vehicles should not be locked to trees or other landscaping, poles, signs, light fixtures, benches, fences, handrails, trash receptacles, pipes, fire hydrants, building fire connection equipment, or other fixtures.
(5) The operator of personal conveyance vehicles is liable for any injuries or damage resulting from the misuse or improper storage of vehicles.
(6) Personal conveyance vehicles found in violation of this policy may be removed by BGSU police or other university staff at the direction of BGSU police.
(E) Violation and accountability
Individuals that violate this policy will be subject to having the personal conveyance vehicle removed and impounded, as well as being subject to corrective action procedures as defined in the appropriate employee handbook, collective bargaining agreement, student code of conduct, or as per the Ohio revised code.
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3345
Rule Amplifies: 3345
Prior Effective Dates: 3/17/2015