(A) Policy statement. The university will develop a system of identifying student residency for purpose of state subsidy and tuition surcharge consistent with rules of the Ohio department of higher education which comply with provisions of section 3333.31 of the Revised Code and rule 3333-1-10 of the Administrative Code.
(B) Parameter. The purpose of the Ohio department of higher education rules, to determine student residency for the purpose of state subsidy and tuition surcharge, is to exclude those persons entering the state for the primary purpose of receiving the benefit of a state-supported education.
(1) Residency for the purpose of assessing tuition and fee charges is determined at the time of admission or readmission to the university and cannot be retroactive.
(2) Students immediately identified as Ohio residents for tuition purposes will include: dependents of parent(s)/guardian(s) who have resided in Ohio for at least the twelve consecutive months preceding enrollment and have supported the student; active duty military, guard, reserve, honorably discharged veterans, and the spouse or dependent of a veteran, who are domiciled in Ohio as of the first day of the semester; graduates of Ohio high schools who are domiciled in Ohio as of the first day of the semester; and those independent applicants who have resided in Ohio for at least the twelve consecutive months preceding enrollment and have demonstrated that they have supported themselves during that time. With documentation as required by the Ohio department of high education, various other student categories may also be considered for Ohio residency status.
(3) Students having cause to question their residency status may present documentation supporting their position to the residency officer in the office of undergraduate admissions. Those students providing appropriate documentation may be determined to qualify as Ohio residents.
(4) Students continuing to question their residency status may file a written appeal with the residence classification board of the university.
(5) The residence classification board is the final appeal authority and its decision is final.
(6) Information regarding residency status and the residence classification board is available in the office of undergraduate admissions.
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3356
Rule Amplifies: 3356
Prior Effective Dates: 6/16/03, 8/23/10, 1/22/12