Chapter 3358:16-201 Veterans
The college shall establish a policy to support the success of veterans and service members.
Division (B). f section 3345.421 of the Revised Code is designed to assure Ohio's colleges and universities support the success of veterans and service members. As components of the bill it requires institutions to designate at least one person employed by the institution to serve as the contact person for veterans and service member affairs; allow for the establishment of a student-led group on campus for student service members and veterans; integrate and enhance career services for service members and veterans; survey student service members and veterans to identify their needs and challenges; establish an appeals procedure for students who are veterans or service members for resolving disputes regarding the awarding of college credit for military experience; provide veterans and service members with priority for course registration; and ensure a student who is a veteran or a service member is not charged any fee for the evaluation of, transcription of, or application for college credit for military experience.
This procedure will continue to reinforce Terra's enduring commitment to veterans and service members, as shown by the completion of the veterans service center, its membership in the service members opportunity colleges, and its support of Ohio's GI promise.
Valuing our veterans policy procedure
Terra state community college seeks to assist service members and veterans as they pursue degrees and/or certificates. The purpose of this procedure is to set forth the support and assistance Terra state community college will provide to service members and veterans.
(A) Use standardized definitions for "service member" and "veteran"
(1) "Service member" means any person who is serving in the armed forces of the United States of America.
(2) "Veteran" means any person who has completed service in the armed forces. including the national guard of any state or a reserve component of the armed forces, and who has been discharged under honorable conditions from the armed forces or who has been transferred to the reserve with evidence of satisfactory service.
(B) Create "safe zones" for service members and veterans
(1) Maintain the Terra state veterans' center. established November 2012, as a service member arid veteran student services office
(2) Provide a GEN 1000 first-year seminar course every term specifically for service members and veterans
(3) Work with the Ohio board of-regents (OBR) to develop a veteran-friendly campus that increases the opportunity for service members and veterans to succeed academically
(4) Recognize the service of service members and veterans at various events such as graduation, community service awards, honors awards, and an appreciation day
(5) Empower those working directly with service members and veterans to provide services designed to promote educational achievement
(6) Allow for the establishment of a student-led group on campus for student service members and veterans, and encourage other service member- and veteran-friendly organizations
(C) Refer service members and veterans to proper local, state and/or federal agencies in the event Terra state community college believes that the service member or veteran is eligible for services
(1) Work with other Ohio institutions of higher education to disseminate and share promising practices for serving service members and veterans effectively
(2) Promote veteran-friendly campuses by utilizing the OBR's structure to disseminate and share promising practices statewide for serving service members and veterans effectively
(3) Continue to work with the legislature, workforce, and higher education community to identify and develop statewide policies to ensure the transition to higher education is seamless for all students, including service members and veterans. (This may include, but is not limited to, issues such as transfer, credit for prior learning and/or experience, career ladders, support services, etc.)
(4) Develop a clear outreach strategy to communicate with eligible persons about educational and training benefits to encourage the use of GI Bill benefits, as well as services and assistance offered by the institution
(5) Ensure the campus community is aware of benefits associated with the new post 9/11 GI bill and through our campus veterans' office and veteran coordinator(s) to actively find ways to connect returning service members and veterans with the services offered by the U.S. department of veterans affairs
(6) Provide training, in partnership with U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, in the proper certification methods for certifying officials on each campus
(D) Maintain access and success for service members and veterans in postsecondary education and training, while improving transition to civilian work
(1) Provide a student who is either a veteran or a service member with priority for course registration
(2) Provide an appeals procedure for students who are veterans or service members for resolving disputes regarding the awarding of college credit for military experience
(3) Ensure that appropriate equivalent credit is awarded for military training, experience, and coursework that meet the standards developed by the chancellor. The college shall not charge a student who is a veteran or a service member any fee for the evaluation of, transcription of, or application for college credit for military experience
(4) Encourage use of an online tool for exploring careers, searching programs in Ohio, and providing consumer reporting information on earnings and employment outcomes for each program. This website should include special information targeted to service members and veterans regarding shortening the time to receive a credential or degree through:
(a) Expanding credit for prior learning
(b) Articulation and transfer agreements
(c) Bridge programs
(d) Applied baccalaureate degrees
(e) Online tools
(5) Integrate existing career services to create and encourage meaningful collaborative relationships between student service members and veterans and alumni of the institution, which links student service members and veterans with prospective employers, and that provides student service members and veterans with social opportunities; and encourages the responsible office to seek and promote partnership opportunities for internships and employment of student service members and veterans with state, local, national, and international employers.
(E) Assure quality services
(1) Regularly evaluate institutional policies and procedures that create barriers to service member and veteran success
(2) Train appropriate faculty and staff to increase awareness of the mindset and unique needs of service members and veterans returning from deployment
(3) Survey student service members and veterans to identify their needs and challenges and make the survey available to faculty and staff at the state institution of higher education. Annually conduct follow-up surveys to gauge the institution's progress toward meeting identified needs and challenges.
Contacts (subject to change without resubmittal of procedure)
The following individual(s) have been appointed by the president to handle inquiries regarding this procedure:
Joyce Spencer, Student Success Mentor-Veteran Students
Eric Steinberger, Registrar
HB488 Designated Contact Person
Office Location: A100
Office Location: A200
Phone: (419) 559-2348
Phone: (419) 559-2228
Next Review: 06/30/2015
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3358
Rule Amplifies: 3345