(A) The vice president for research and dean of the graduate school shall be appointed by the board upon recommendation of the president; shall hold office at the discretion of the president; and shall be responsible to the president.
Notwithstanding the direct reporting relation between vice president for research and dean of the graduate school to the president, it shall be the duty and responsibility of vice president for research and dean of the graduate school to coordinate with and keep the senior vice president and provost informed in advance on all matters, initiatives, or decisions within their area of responsibility that involve academic matters, or that have a reasonable expectation of involving or affecting the academic programs, activities, or directions of the university.
(B) The vice president for research and dean of the graduate school shall be responsible for:
(1) The university's research grants, contracts, and sponsored programs through the office of research administration;
(2) Its intellectual property administration, patent marketing, and licensing activity through the office of technology transfer, and coordination with the office of the vice president and general counsel with respect to all legal matters, including patent prosecutions, enforcement and maintenance;
(3) The conduct of programs to encourage basic, applied, and funded research among the appropriate faculty, staff, and students;
(4) Technology commercialization of university intellectual property and economic development;
(5) Serving as the university's chief research officer and a member of the university research council as well as serving on the Ohio board of regents research officers council.
(C) The vice president for research and dean of the graduate school shall be responsible, in cooperation with the deans of various colleges, for the general academic supervision of graduate education in accordance with the policies and rules established by the Ohio board of regents, the university of Akron board of trustees, and the president.
(D) The duties of the vice president for research and dean of the graduate school shall include but not be limited to:
(1) Encourage the colleges to develop programs of graduate study;
(2) Maintain, in cooperation with the deans of the degree-granting colleges, a satisfactory standard of instruction in graduate education;
(3) Approve those faculty members who qualify for service on master's and doctoral committees and for teaching graduate courses;
(4) Administer the admission procedures to graduate education, the prerequisites for graduate study, the requirements of graduate degrees, and the counseling and registration of graduate students;
(5) Administer the graduate research, teaching, and industrial assistantships and graduate fellowship programs;
(6) Convene and chair the graduate council;
(7) Present to the president at commencement those students who successfully fulfilled the requirements for graduate degrees for appropriate degree conferral;
(8) Serve as a member of the Ohio board of regents advisory committee on graduate study;
(9) Submit an annual report to the president concerning the academic activities, problems, and fiscal needs of the school, and perform such other graduate-related duties as may be indicated by the president or the senior vice president and provost.
(E) The vice president for research and dean of the graduate school shall have authority to sign research contracts for the university of Akron, consistent with the rules of the university, including but not limited to the requirements and restrictions set forth in rule 3359-02-05 of the Administrative Code, and upon prior legal review and approval of the vice president and general counsel or designee.