Chapter 3359-8 Student Affairs
(A) President of the university. As specified in rule Chapter 3359-1-05 of the Administrative Code, the president is executive head of all university colleges, branches, schools, and departments, possessing duties, responsibilities and powers as delineated in the bylaws.
(B) Vice president for student affairs
(1) The vice president for student affairs shall be appointed by the board upon recommendation of the president and shall hold office at the discretion of the president.
Notwithstanding the reporting relation between the vice president for student affairs to the president, it shall be the duty and responsibility of the vice president for student affairs to coordinate with and keep the senior vice president and provost and chief operating officer informed in advance on all matters, initiatives, or decisions within their area of responsibility that involve academic matters, or that have a reasonable expectation of involving or affecting the academic programs, activities, or directions of the university.
(2) The vice president for student affairs shall report to the president through the senior vice president and provost and chief operating officer for the administration of student affairs in accordance with the policies and rules as approved by the board.
(3) Among the vice president for student affairs' duties shall be to administer the activities, resources, and personnel of the following units: academic achievement programs; admissions; center for career management; counseling, testing, and career center; international programs; office of accessibility; residence life and housing; student life, student union; leadership and development; student financial aid; student health services; student publications, i.e. the buchtelite and tel-buch; student recreation and wellness center; and university registrar. The vice president for student affairs, in close collaboration with the senior vice president and provost and chief operating officer, shall oversee the enrollment management functions of the university. The vice president for student affairs shall coordinate all commencement ceremonies and assist in the selection and support of the university's grand marshal. In addition, the vice president for student affairs shall submit an annual report to the president concerning activities, problems, and needs, and perform such other duties as may be assigned by the president.
(4) The vice president for student affairs shall directly supervise the associate vice president for enrollment management, the associate vice president and dean of student life, and the associate vice president for campus life. Each of these associates provides administrative support to a specific cluster of four-to-five of the departments listed above and also serves as a part of the vice president's general leadership team. The associate vice president for enrollment management focuses on those functions related to recruiting, retaining and enrolling students. The associate vice president and dean of student life provides support for services related to student development and student life. The associate vice president for campus life focuses on services related to the larger campus community.
(5) The vice president for student affairs shall oversee administration of the requirements for admission of students to the several colleges and schools of the university, including rules governing their matriculation and registration, and policies with respect to attendance, examinations, grades, dismissal, reinstatement, requirements for degrees and certificates. Those tasks shall be administered through appropriate direction of the faculties of the respective colleges and schools, subject to the approval of the board.
(6) Co-curricular activities of university students shall be under the supervision of the president of the university through the vice president for student affairs, or some other properly designated administrative officers.
(7) Students dismissed from the university pursuant to division (A) of section 3345.23 of the Revised Code shall not be readmitted to the university of Akron except upon favorable recommendation of the vice president for student affairs and the president. Such recommendation for readmission shall be submitted to the board of trustees for approval and shall include reasons supporting such readmission. Readmission under these circumstances may be accompanied by terms of strict probation or other conditions deemed appropriate by the vice president for student affairs.