Chapter 3361:50-45 Professional Practice
(A) Practice quarter registration: students on approved professional practice assignments are involved in a full-time academic experience at the university of Cincinnati. In order to be officially considered a full-time student of the university and to receive credit for a practice quarter, each student is required to register with the university while on practice assignment. The registration form used is the "Professional Practice Quarter Registration" card. This card must be completed and mailed (preferably by certified mail) to the division of professional practice no later than the second day of the official practice quarter as shown on the professional practice calendar. Any student who fails to register is unofficially withdrawn from the professional practice program and thus may not receive credit for the practice quarter.
(B) Student practice quarter report: All students are requires to complete the report covering the practice quarter and provide this report to the division of professional practice no later than three school days prior to the required post work quarter interview with their faculty adviser.
(C) Performance evaluation: All students are evaluated by their employers each practice quarter using the "Employer Appraisal of Professional Practice Student" form. Professional practice faculty advisers also assess student performance and assign grades for practice quarters.
(D) Standards of professional conduct: Each student is expected to meet all of the requirements of professionalism inherent in the employing organization.
The student must work the entire quarter as prescribed on the professional practice calendar, except when given prior permission for an irregularity by his/her professional practice faculty adviser. If a student cannot report for work on a scheduled work day, his/her employer should be advised as soon as possible. The professional practice faculty adviser should also be advised if it seems likely that the absence will extend beyond one or two weeks.
Should an absence exceed three weeks of the practice quarter, the student must request an "Administrative Waiver" for that practice quarter. The student must immediately inform his/her professional practice faculty adviser of the situation and complete and return three copies of the "Student Petition Form", including on the form a detailed explanation of the reasons for requesting an "Administrative Waiver".
Students observe only company holidays, not university holidays or vacations, while on their practice assignments. If a student spends all or a material part of a practice quarter in activities other than working on an approved practice assignment with an employer participating in the program, or substantially fails to meet the published standards of conduct for the practice quarter, the student will receive an "Administrative Waiver" or an "Administrative Waiver with Prejudice" for that quarter.
(1) An "Administrative Waiver" has no detrimental effect on the student's certification. This designation is utilized when the student is unable to secure or complete an appropriate practice assignment through no fault of his/her own, such a failure to secure an appropriate assignment due to the economy after all reasonable efforts, termination of an assignment for reasons other than performance, illness for such a period of time as to negate the educational value of a practice period, participation in a "ROTC Summer Training Unit" or any other situation where a penalty regarding certification would be inequitable in the judgment of the professional practice faculty adviser and the division of professional practice's professional standards review committee.
(2) An "Administrative Waiver With Prejudice" will result in the loss of one scheduled practice quarter in relation to certification. This designation is utilized when the student is unable to secure or complete an appropriate practice assignment due to failure or refusal to comply with his/her responsibilities for the practice quarter, such as personal restrictions as to geographic location, section availability, salary level, or because of violations of published standards of conduct for the practice quarter. This action recommended by the professional practice faculty adviser could be coupled with professional practice and/or college academic sanctions such as probation, suspension, etc. The university of Cincinnati student code of conduct is applicable to students while on professional practice assignments.
(E) Academic quarter interviews: During the academic quarter following a practice quarter, each student is required to schedule and complete an individual interview with his/her professional practice faculty adviser.
(F) Summary of prime requirements: All students who have registered on time for the practice quarter must complete the following prime requirements to receive a grade of "S":
(1) Submit both parts of the "Student Practice Quarter Report" on time.
(2) Perform work which the employer evaluates as satisfactory or better.
(3) Work the entire quarter as prescribed by the professional practice calendar, except when excused by the professional practice faculty adviser.
(4) Schedule and complete an interview with his/her professional practice faculty adviser following the practice quarter.
The satisfactory or unsatisfactory completion of each practice quarter is recorded on the student's university academic transcript.
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3361
Rule Amplifies: 3361
Prior Effective Dates: 3/16/1978