(1) Shawnee state university recognizes the need to create and maintain an environmental quality that sustains and enhances the general health and well-being of its students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
(2) As such, smoking of any material and the use of any tobacco product are prohibited in all university owned, leased, and managed buildings and other designated areas established by this policy.
(1) Smoking: The burning of tobacco or any other material in any type of smoking device, including, but not restricted to, cigarettes, cigars, electronic cigarettes or pipes.
(2) Tobacco: All tobacco derived or containing products, including, and not limited to, cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos, hookah smoked products, pipes, and oral tobacco (e.g., spit and spitless, smokeless, chew, snuff) and nasal tobacco. It also includes any product intended to mimic tobacco products, contain tobacco flavoring, or deliver nicotine other than for the purpose of cessation.
(1) Smoking and the use of any tobacco product, including chewing tobacco, are prohibited in or at the following locations:
(a) Any building and designated outdoor non-smoking area that is owned, leased, or managed by the university.
(b) Within fifty feet of any entrance or other outside access to a building so as to insure that tobacco smoke does not enter the area through entrances, windows, ventilation systems or any other means.
(c) Any vehicle owned or leased by the university.
(2) Sale of tobacco is prohibited on university owned, managed, or leased property.
(3) Disposal of cigarettes and other smoking products in any place on university owned, managed or leased property, other than a smoking receptacle.
(D) Designated outdoor non-smoking areas
(1) The following outdoor areas will be designated as non-smoking areas:
(a) Outdoor athletic facilities
(b) Outdoor areas utilized by the university and/or the Shawnee state university development foundation for scheduled events, including commencement.
(2) The president may approve the establishment of other designated non-smoking outdoor areas, as well as designated outdoor areas for smoking.
(E) Signage and smoking receptacles
(1) "No smoking" signs or the international "no smoking" symbol will be conspicuously posted at all university building entrances and inside all university vehicles. All such signs will include the state of Ohio's contact information for reporting violations.
(2) Locations of smoking receptacles will be placed at least fifty away from any building entrance that are not along any primary walkway. Any person who moves a smoking receptacle without appropriate authority will be in violation of this policy and subject to discipline.
(F) Compliance and enforcement
(1) The president will designate the university department(s) responsible for ensuring compliance.
(2) The university will provide smoking cessation information for employees and students who wish to quit smoking.
(3) The university will identify contact information to enable employees, students and visitors to report any violation of this policy.
(4) Any violation of this policy will be addressed through the standard disciplinary process appropriate to the individual's relationship to the university. Visitors who violate this policy may be denied future access to the university campus.