The purpose of this policy is to ensure compliance with the state of Ohio's records management and retention statutes. In accordance with section 149.33 of the Revised Code, university and college boards of trustees "will have full responsibility for establishing and administering a records program for their respective institutions. The boards will apply efficient and economical management methods to the creation, utilization, maintenance, retention, preservation, and disposition of the records of their respective institutions."
(B) Maintenance and retention of university records
(1) Shawnee state university shall have a records system that covers all university departments and offices to ensure that all official records of the university, both public and exempt, are maintained and disposed in accordance with the university's records retention schedule. The records system will adequately reflect the organization, functions, policies, decisions, procedures, operations and other activities of the university.
(2) University records shall not be removed or destroyed, except in accordance with the university's records retention schedule.
(3) The term "university records" has the same meaning as the term "records" in section 149.011 of the revised code, the Ohio Public Records Act.
(C) University records manager, records custodians, and records committee
(1) The president will designate a records manager to be responsible for administration and primary oversight of the university records system and management program.
(2) Each university department or office will have an employee who is designated to serve as its records custodian who will work under the direction of the records manager. The president or president's designee will appoint the records custodians.
(3) The president will appoint a standing records committee to work with the records manager and to oversee compliance of the university's records management program. The committee will include representation from the major functional areas of the university, as well as from key supporting areas, such as the university information services (UIS) and the university library. As part of its compliance function, the committee's responsibilities will include review of the records retention schedule template and this policy, identifying methods to improve the records system and management program, and working with the records manager to ensure that all employees who handle university records are sufficiently aware of their obligations to properly manage and dispose of university records.
(D) Records manual and records retention schedule
(1) The university's guideline for records management is the inter-university council of Ohio's "records retention for public colleges and universities in Ohio: A manual" (IUC manual), and any subsequent updates.
(2) The IUC manual will be used as the basis for establishing legal retention periods and developing a standardized schedule. Under the direction of the university records manger, the records custodians, will determine appropriate record series and retention periods and will develop schedules for each university department.
(3) Attention will be given to records medium, including electronic records, as well as historic value or significance.
(4) The university will utilize a records retention schedule template approved by the board of trustees.
The president will be responsible for establishing procedures to further implement this policy.