(A) Policy statement
The university of Toledo recognizes that situations may arise in which an employee may need and may benefit from a temporary reduction in work hours. Only an appointing authority may authorize a voluntary reduction in hours upon a written request from an employee.
(B) Purpose of policy
This policy sets forth the guidelines for requesting a temporary reduction in work hours and resumption of full time status.
(1) Salaried employees of the university of Toledo may request a temporary reduction in their work hours with a corresponding reduction in salary. Employees may request a reduction to seventy-two hours, sixty hours, or other agreed upon number of hours not to fall below forty hours per pay period in those departments or areas where workloads permit. Any such reduction in hours must be approved by the immediate supervisor, department director or chairman, and appropriate vice president.
(2) Employees taking a reduced schedule will maintain all medical, dental, drug, vision and life insurance benefits in full force during this time; at their normal full-time equivalent status. Employees are responsible for their (cost share) premiums at their established full-time equivalent contribution level.
(3) Requests for temporary reduction in hours may not be less than two months in duration with a maximum of six months. Requests must be made as far in advance as practicable and in writing to the immediate supervisor. The immediate supervisor must then initiate a memorandum of approval, giving the specific effective dates of the reduction in hours (beginning and ending), and submit to human resource and talent development for approval from an appointing authority.
(4) Upon return to full-time status the supervisor shall notify human resource and talent the employees actual date of return.
(5) The university of Toledo reserves the right to return the individual to the original employment level with a minimum of two weeks notice. The employee retains the right to be returned to the original employment level within two weeks after the receipt of their written request.
(6) Sick leave and vacation will accrue pro-rated to hours worked. Employees should contact "OPERS" to determine any effects on monthly retirement service credit.
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3364
Rule Amplifies: 3364