(A) Policy statement
The university will manage the different types of hazardous materials (including solids, liquids and gases) in accordance with federal, state, and local regulations and other accrediting or licensing agencies.
(B) Purpose of policy
To create a campus free from uncontrolled hazardous material exposures of students, patients, staff, faculty, visitors, and in the environment surrounding the university (including air and water resources).
(C) Design and responsibility
Due to the varied nature and large quantities of hazardous materials (including wastes) a number of institutional and academic departments are be responsible for their management and control.
(1) The environmental health and radiation safety department is responsible for the overall management of hazardous materials and environmental regulatory compliance for the protection of faculty, staff, students, volunteers, patients and visitors at the university of Toledo.
(2) Environmental health and radiation safety assisted by various university departments is tasked with the development programs and plans to serve as procedural guidelines for institutional and academic departments.
(3) Additional, safety and health programs, plans and procedural guidelines can be found atwww.utoledo.edu/depts/safety/
(D) Methods for maintaining safety, health and environmental compliance.
(1) Proper selection, handling, storing, transporting, using, and disposing of hazardous materials and wastes from receipt or generation through use or final disposal.
(2) Providing adequate and appropriate space and equipment for safely handling and storing of hazardous materials and waste.
(3) Monitoring and disposing of hazardous gases and vapors.
(4) Identifying and implementing emergency procedures that include the specific precautions, procedures, and protective equipment used during hazardous materials incidents or exposures.
(5) Maintains documentation, including required permits, licenses, registrations and adherence to other regulations.
(6) Maintain required manifests for handling hazardous materials and waste.
(7) Properly labels hazardous materials and wastes.
(8) Maintain audit and quality control programs for the management of hazardous wastes to ensure the continued effectiveness of the management plans and programs.
(9) Develop and implement orientation and education programs for personnel who manage or have contact with hazardous materials and waste that addresses:
(a) Precautions for selecting, handling, storing, using, and disposing of hazardous materials and wastes
(b) Emergency procedures for hazardous material and waste spills or exposures
(c) Health hazards of mishandling hazardous materials
Promulgated Under: 111.15
Statutory Authority: 3364
Rule Amplifies: 3364