(A) One or more boards of library trustees may apply to amend, define, and adjust their boundaries by communicating in writing to the state librarian their desire that such action be taken. Upon consolidation of two or more school districts or upon the state library board's own initiative to eliminate areas of overlap the board may define, amend, and adjust the boundaries of overlapping library districts. The affected library boards shall furnish, on a form determined by the state librarian, the following information and documentation:
(1) Information as to the current boundaries of the library districts making the application;
(2) The reasons why a change is desirable including evidence that the change will ensure equitable access to library services for all residents of the area;
(3) The proposed new library boundaries ;
(4) Resolutions from the affected boards of library trustees expressing their agreement or disagreement with the change ; and
(5) Any other pertinent information relating to circumstances and other parties that might be affected by a boundary change.
(B) The state librarian shall review and study the proposal. The state librarian may request further information and may conduct whatever investigation of the facts deemed necessary to procure a full explanation of the desirability of a boundary change. The state librarian, upon completion of the study, shall transmit to the state library board a recommendation as to whether the application should be approved, disapproved or modified. Upon action by the state library board, the state librarian shall notify the affected boards of library trustees of their right to a hearing on the matter by the manner outlined in Chapter 119. of the Revised Code.
(C) Any board of library trustees for a library district adversely affected by any order of the board issued pursuant to an adjudication hearing may appeal to the court of common pleas of Franklin county.
(D) Within thirty days after the state library board's determination, the state librarian shall certify such action to the boards of election, taxing authorities, the boards of trustees of libraries affected and other appropriate bodies set forth in division (J) of section 3375.01 of the Revised Code.
Prior History: (Effective:
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 12/21/2012 and 04/12/2018
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 119, 3375.01
Rule Amplifies: 3375.01
Prior Effective Dates: 4/27/76, 1/30/81)