(A) A general license is hereby issued to any person in Ohio, who holds a specific license issued by the director which authorizes him or her to receive, possess, use and transfer special nuclear material, to receive title to, own, acquire, deliver, receive, possess, use and transfer in accordance with the provisions of paragraphs (B) and (C) of this rule, plutonium in the form of calibration or reference sources.
(B) The general license in paragraph (A) of this rule applies only to calibration or reference sources which have been manufactured or initially transferred in accordance with the specifications contained in a specific license issued pursuant to rule 3701:1-56-06 of the Administrative Code, or in accordance with the specifications contained in a specific license issued by the United States nuclear regulatory commission or an agreement state, which authorizes manufacture of the sources for distribution to persons generally licensed by the United States nuclear regulatory commission or an agreement state.
(C) The general license in paragraph (A) of this rule is subject to the provisions of rules 3701:1-56-04, 3701:1-56-09, 3701:1-56-10, and Chapters 3701:1-40 and 3701:1-38 of the Administrative Code. In addition, persons who receive title to, own, acquire, deliver, receive, possess, use or transfer one or more calibration or reference sources pursuant to this general license:
(1) Shall not possess at any one time, at any one location of storage or use, more than one hundred eighty-five kilobecquerels (five microcuries) of plutonium in such sources;
(2) Shall not receive, possess, use or transfer such source unless the source, or the storage container, bears a label which includes the following statement or a substantially similar statement which contains the information called for in the following statement:
(a) The receipt, possession, use and transfer of this source, model ____, serial no. ____, are subject to a general license and the regulations of the United States nuclear regulatory commission or of a state with which the commission has entered into an agreement for the exercise of regulatory authority. Do not remove this label.
Caution - radioactive material - this source contains plutonium. Do not touch radioactive portion of this source.
(Name of manufacturer or initial transferor)
(b) Sources generally licensed prior to January 19, 1975 may bear labels authorized by the regulations in effect on January 1, 1975 if they are different from the label in paragraph (C)(2)(a) of this rule.
(3) Shall not transfer, abandon, or dispose of such source except by transfer to a person authorized by a license from the director, the United States nuclear regulatory commission, or an agreement state to receive the source.
(4) Shall store such source, except when the source is being used, in a closed container adequately designed and constructed to contain plutonium which might otherwise escape during storage.
(5) Shall not use such source for any purpose other than the calibration of radiation detectors or the standardization of other sources.
(D) The general license in paragraph (A) of this rule does not authorize the manufacture, import, or export of calibration or reference sources containing plutonium.
Prior History: (Effective:
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 05/25/2012 and 05/01/2017
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3748.04
Rule Amplifies: 3748.04
Prior Effective Dates: 04/14/2003, 10/08/07 )