(A) A licensee in possession of any sealed source or brachytherapy source shall follow the radiation safety and handling instructions supplied by the manufacturer.
(B) A licensee in possession of a sealed source shall:
(1) Test the source for leakage before its first use unless the licensee has a certificate from the supplier indicating that the source was tested within six months before transfer to the licensee; and
(2) Test the source for leakage at intervals not to exceed six months or at other intervals approved by the director, United States nuclear regulatory commission, or an agreement state .
(C) To satisfy the leak test requirements of this rule, the licensee shall measure the sample so that the leak test can detect the presence of one hundred eighty-five becquerels(0.005 microcurie) of radioactive material in the sample.
(E) If the leak test reveals the presence of one hundred eighty-five becquerels(0.005
microcurie or more of removable contamination, the licensee shall:
(1) Immediately withdraw the sealed source from use and store, dispose, or cause it to be repaired in accordance with the requirements in Chapter 3701:1-38 of the Administrative Code, and
(F) A licensee need not perform a leak test on the following sources:
(1) Sources containing only radioactive material with a half-life of less than thirty days;
(2) Sources containing only radioactive material as a gas;
(3) Sources containing 3.7 megabecquerels(one hundred microcuries) or less of beta or gamma-emitting material or 0.37 megabecquerel (ten microcuries) or less of alpha-emitting material;
(4) Seeds of iridium-192 encased in nylon ribbon; and
(5) Sources stored and not being used. However, the licensee shall test each such source for leakage before any use or transfer unless it has been leak tested within six months before the date of use or transfer.
(G) A licensee in possession of sealed sources or brachytherapy sources, except for gamma stereotactic radiosurgery sources, shall conduct a semi-annual physical inventory of all such sources in its possession. The licensee shall retain each inventory record in accordance with paragraph (B) of rule 3701:1-58-80 of the Administrative Code.
Cite as Ohio Admin. Code 3701:1-58-27
Prior History: (Effective:
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 06/28/2010 and 07/12/2015
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3748.02, 3748.04
Rule Amplifies: 3748.04
Prior Effective Dates: 8/15/2005 )