(A) The handler shall ensure that the survey instruments used to show compliance with Chapter 3701:1-67 of the Administrative Code have been calibrated before first use, at intervals not to exceed twelve months, and following repair.
(B) To satisfy the requirements of paragraph (A) of this rule, the handler shall ensure that the survey instruments are:
(1) Calibrated on all required scale readings up to ten millisieverts (one thousand millirem) per hour with an appropriate radiation source that is traceable to the "National Institute of Standards and Technology" (NIST); and
(2) Calibrated on at least two points on each scale to be calibrated. These points should be at approximately one-third and two-thirds of full-scale.
(C) To satisfy the requirements of paragraph (B) of this rule, the handler shall:
(1) Consider a point as calibrated if the indicated dose rate differs from the calculated dose rate by not more than ten per cent; and
(2) Consider a point as calibrated if the indicated dose rate differs from the calculated dose rate by not more than twenty per cent if a correction factor or graph is conspicuously attached to the instrument.
(D) The handler shall retain a record of each calibration required in paragraph (A) of this rule for three years. The record shall include:
(1) A description of the calibration procedure; and
(2) A description of the source used and the certified dose rates from the source, and the rates indicated by the instrument being calibrated, the correction factors deduced from the calibration data, the name and signature of the individual who performed the calibration, and the date of calibration.
(E) The handler may obtain the services of individuals licensed by the department, the United States nuclear regulatory commission, or an agreement state to perform calibrations of survey instruments. Records of calibrations that contain information required by paragraph (D) of this rule shall be maintained by the handler.
R.C. 119.032 review dates: 01/01/2016
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3748.04
Rule Amplifies: 3748.01, 3748.02, 3748.04, 3748.05, 3748.06, 3748.07, 3748.12, 3748.121, 3748.13, 3748.14, 3748.15, 3748.17, 3748.18, 3748.19, 3748.20, 3748.22, 3748.99
Prior Effective Dates: 2/15/2001, 9/1/05