(A) Each approved TCEP shall include a competency evaluation component which measures the skills of trainees through skills testing.
(1) Skills testing performed in a long-term care facility may be counted as part of the clinical experience portion of the minimum seventy-five hours of instruction. Skills testing performed through laboratory simulation shall not be counted as part of the clinical experience portion.
(2) The competency evaluation component of a TCEP does not substitute for completion of the test conducted by the director or the director's designee under division (C) of section 3721.31 of the Revised Code and rule 3701-18-22 of the Administrative Code.
(B) The skills testing shall consist of the program coordinator or a primary instructor observing a trainee's ability to perform a specified task that could be expected of a nurse aide in a long-term care facility. The program coordinator or primary instructor shall determine whether the trainee properly executes the critical elements of the task essential for its successful completion. The results of skills testing shall be recorded on a checklist specific to the task being performed.
(C) The TCEP shall conduct skills testing for a sufficient number of tasks to evaluate adequately the trainee's knowledge and ability with respect to all matters on which he or she has received classroom instruction or clinical experience. The critical elements of the tasks on which the trainee is tested shall be based upon the objectives and performance criteria established under paragraph (B) of rule 3701-18-12 of the Administrative Code and shall be structured to permit evaluation of the trainee's practical application of the classroom instruction, including evaluation of communication and interpersonal skills.
(D) All skills testing and monitoring of clinical experience shall be conducted in the physical presence of the TCEP coordinator or a primary instructor who has clinical expertise and no service responsibilities for the facility during the skills testing. Guest lecturers shall not perform any skills testing. The program coordinator of a facility-based program who is also the facility's director of nursing shall not perform skills testing.
(E) For a trainee to complete an approved TCEP successfully, all of the following standards, at minimum, shall be met:
(1) The trainee attended all classroom instruction and clinical experience or made up any missed portion of the classroom instruction or clinical experience in accordance with paragraph (D) of rule 3701-18-08 of the Administrative Code;
(2) If the program uses oral or written examinations, quizzes, or both to evaluate trainees, the trainee correctly answered an overall average of at least eighty per cent on all examinations, quizzes, or both; and
(3) The program coordinator or the primary instructor who conducted the skills testing documented, by means of a checklist, that the trainee successfully completed skills testing for each task on which the trainee was tested, in accordance with paragraph (C) of this rule.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 02/27/2017 and 02/15/2022
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3721.28, 3721.29, 3721.30
Rule Amplifies: 3721.30 , 3721.31, 3721.34
Prior Effective Dates: 8/31/1989 (Emer.), 12/1/89 (Emer.), 4/20/90 (Emer.), 7/16/90, 9/5/93, 2/10/02