(A) The medical director of a hospice care program shall be a physician and have overall responsibility for the medical components of the program. The medical director shall be either a paid or contractual staff member or a volunteer.
(B) The duties of the medical director shall include:
(1) Participating as a member of the interdisciplinary team or teams in the development of individual plans of care or assuring that one or more other qualified physicians participate on the team or teams;
(2) Reviewing patient medical eligibility for hospice care services;
(3) Consulting with attending physicians, when appropriate, regarding pain and symptom management;
(4) Assuring overall continuity of the hospice care program's medical services, including availability of physician services for both routine and emergency situations;
(5) Acting as liaison between patients' attending physicians and the interdisciplinary team or teams;
(6) Establishing health policies for employees of the hospice care program; and
(7) Serving as liaison with community physicians, medical schools, healthcare facilities, and hospitals.
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 05/01/2019
Promulgated Under: 119.03
Statutory Authority: 3712.03
Rule Amplifies: 3712.01, 3712.06
Prior Effective Dates: 12/31/1990, 10/17/99, 8/23/09